LÖVE 0.10.0 released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
master both
Party member

Re: LÖVE 0.10.0 released

Post by master both »

This GUI library has virtual joysticks and much more.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I was going to write a virtual joystick library (an almost drop-in thing to allow easy usage of projects on Android) but I keep having no motivation...
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
zikesha93
Prole

Post by zikesha93 »

bartbes wrote: [*]Official support for iOS and Android!
Now its official I'm in LOVE! (*m*)
pandoro79
Prole

Post by pandoro79 »

There is a best pratice to deal with multiple mobile screen resolutions?
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

It's been such a long time, but I'm so happy that Löve finally officially supports Android! Congratulations! I'd like to come back to games development with Löve2D, but I have a few doubts:

-Is there any official guide (wiki, if possible) on how to port a Windows Löve project to Android, how to build the .apk, etc? Gathering info from a lot of threads would be a little too much for me.

-Is there official support for ads (banners) in Android through Admob?
4aiman
Party member

Post by 4aiman »

Not sure where I'm supposed to put this, so... I'm really sorry if I missed the "bugs and features" sub-forum. I humbly ask to move this post there. Pretty please?

There are several bugs in LÖVE for android:
1. it doesn't stop playing sounds while being "minimized". Some way of detection whether LÖVE is minimized would be great. (Please, don't hesitate to RTFM me with a link)

2. There're problems with the Image button on a touch screen. It is being detected with love.keypressed and seems to have the "escape" ID, but (naturally, since it's not a "real" keyboard)

Code: Select all

love.keyboard.isDown('escape')
is always being resolved to false.
Is there a better way to detect it than storing pressed keys with the help of love.keypressed and then checking some variable?

3. One more bug I've found: LÖVE does not recognize HW buttons/hatches on a device running Android neither with the help of the love.keypressed nor with the help of the "Joystick" module. How one is supposed to detect those HW buttons/hatches being pressed/moved?

I'm eager to try possible solutions and to report back the results to the community.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

There is a bug tracker on the repo. Although just posting them here probably fine. And about the back key. I think it was an oversight because there is absolutely no reason for there to be an isDown for the back key on Android. Pressing the back key should exit your app or back out of a dialog. Holding the back key invokes certain operations on various phones so you shouldn't depend on isDown for the back key because it may not be reasonable.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

And as for #1, iirc i saw at least one thread on the forums somewhere, where it was being discussed, but sadly i am horrible at searching for things in this forum, so i'd ask someone to link it to you, or wish you luck on finding the thread! :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

4aiman wrote:1. it doesn't stop playing sounds while being "minimized".
This has been fixed for the upcoming version [wiki]0.10.1[/wiki].
4aiman wrote:2. There're problems with the Image button on a touch screen. It is being detected with love.keypressed and seems to have the "escape" ID, but (naturally, since it's not a "real" keyboard)

Code: Select all

love.keyboard.isDown('escape')
is always being resolved to false.
if the OS tells love/SDL that the button is pressed and immediately released, even if you hold the button down, then that's what it will report to you. There's not much that programs can do about that.
4aiman wrote:3. One more bug I've found: LÖVE does not recognize HW buttons/hatches on a device running Android neither with the help of the love.keypressed nor with the help of the "Joystick" module. How one is supposed to detect those HW buttons/hatches being pressed/moved?
I'm not sure you can, if the OS doesn't expose them as any of the above. Do other non-love games/programs use them to do custom functionality?
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

slime yes. On Android apps can use them. For some phones may have a button on the back that apps can use. For example some camera apps use the button on the back of the phone. They can also use the volume button. My irc client uses the volume button for sliding through previously sent messages. Snapchat also uses the volume button to display their own volume thing. I once had a phone with a track ball on it and apps were able to get input from that as well.