Happy holidays!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Happy holidays!

Post by Robin »

Help us help you: attach a .love.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Happy holidays!

Post by Davidobot »

Happy holidays to you too, my friend!
How does the "evolution" work btw?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Ortimh
Citizen

Post by Ortimh »

Great little greetings! Love the "evolution"! I don't have any greetings card so, happy holidays!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Davidobot: It's a fairly standard genetic algorithm: a "population" of 25 random strings with the length of the message prepared in advance (well, for simplicity's sake only letters are randomized, the rest of the characters have been taken from the message). Then, it makes a copy of some of those strings, weighted so those that are closer to the message have a higher chance to get picked, randomly changes some of the characters in those copies, splices them together to get a new population of 25 random strings, and continue the process until you find the exact message used.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Reminds me of the climax to WarGames when David (The WOPR computer) is trying to find the missile launch codes by running through random characters to match them up against the real one.

You just need to have it playing a game of Tic Tac Toe against itself below to teach it that you can't always win and sometimes you just have to accept it.