Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

Post by Davidobot »

ki wrote:I'd love to see support for multiple mice. I want to develop a strategy game for two players on one PC, both simultaneously using a mouse.

Back when SDL 2.0 was released, SDL contributor Ryan Gordon said something along the lines that multi-mouse support was being requested by lots of people, so I hoped that SDL would get that feature soon. But it's still not there as far as I know. Instead of waiting for SDL to provide that functionality, maybe Löve could make use of Ryan's ManyMouse library.
I personally wouldn't use this, but from what I can gather, this "make all USB mice available, but in many cases can make serial mice and built-in laptop trackpads available too", so it would make all mice show up on screen? Like on my laptop, it would show to cursors if I have a mouse plugged in? If so, there should be a function called like

Code: Select all

love.mouse.showAll()
Which would enable and disable the cursors being displayed, otherwise it will interfere with other projects.
Also, one would have to add an id to the love.mousepressed, love.mousereleased, love.mousemoved like in the touch API.
This seems like it would be pretty easy to implement.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

While we're at it, why not pass an id around for keyboards as well?
Multi-keyboard support (that is, keypresses distinguished between more than one keyboards) would be just as neat as multi-mouse.
Then again, some OS-es have issues with input detection...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Davidobot wrote:
ki wrote:I'd love to see support for multiple mice. I want to develop a strategy game for two players on one PC, both simultaneously using a mouse.

Back when SDL 2.0 was released, SDL contributor Ryan Gordon said something along the lines that multi-mouse support was being requested by lots of people, so I hoped that SDL would get that feature soon. But it's still not there as far as I know. Instead of waiting for SDL to provide that functionality, maybe Löve could make use of Ryan's ManyMouse library.
I personally wouldn't use this, but from what I can gather, this "make all USB mice available, but in many cases can make serial mice and built-in laptop trackpads available too", so it would make all mice show up on screen? Like on my laptop, it would show to cursors if I have a mouse plugged in? If so, there should be a function called like

love.mouse.showAll()
Which would enable and disable the cursors being displayed, otherwise it will interfere with other projects.
Also, one would have to add an id to the love.mousepressed, love.mousereleased, love.mousemoved like in the touch API.
This seems like it would be pretty easy to implement.
pretty sure you don't have two cursors but rather delta information per-mouse; I wouldn't know how windows and even my linux setup are supposed to handle multiple cursors (what happens to focus-follows-mouse for example?).

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

S0lll0s wrote:pretty sure you don't have two cursors but rather delta information per-mouse; I wouldn't know how windows and even my linux setup are supposed to handle multiple cursors (what happens to focus-follows-mouse for example?).
Even with just the raw positional and button/wheel state information, simulating an extra cursor or more in one game is easier than making the OS support it, usually. The OS shouldn't care how your game handles multiple inputs.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I heard that the Amiga version of Lemmings supported two simultaneous players, each with a mouse, though I have never seen that in action. It would be a cool thing to have in LÖVE, but understandable if it's not very high in the developers' priority list.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Support for detecting multiple mice probably won't be added until after it's exposed in SDL itself. I don't really want LÖVE to try to use two APIs for input.

SDL itself is open source though (and I've made a large number of contributions myself), so if you're up for it you could try adding it to SDL – or at least see what's involved.
bakpakin
Party member

Post by bakpakin »

deströyer wrote: • distribution - ability to remove unused frameworks from the executable without breaking it - eg. Vorbis.framework (which is 20% of the total size of the distributable)
I second this opinion. It irks me to distribute really large binaries as you can't expect end users to have LOVE already installed. The physics module is often unused, and now the new video module also takes up space. This is obviously more important now that mobile is officially supported.
((_((_CRAYOLA_((_((_> GitHub <_((_((_CRAYOLA_((_(()
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LÖVE 0.10.0 is still smaller than 0.9.2 was I believe (and it's less than 3MB zipped on Windows). :)

As bobbyjones mentioned it is technically possible to disable compilation of certain modules when building LÖVE, however I guess for some of the dependencies it would be nice to be able to remove the dll's at runtime without issue.
On the other hand, some things (e.g. Box2D) are directly compiled into LÖVE so you'd need to recompile either way.
Last edited by slime on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

There's also a lot of code complexity involved with run-time detection of available libraries. I think, at least for the time being, that having to compile it yourself if you want to remove dependencies is a fair trade-off.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I created a Bitbucket issue for high-dpi / retina support improvements, comments are welcome: https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issues/ ... pi-support