Cross Compatability between systems?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ZBoyer1000
Prole

Cross Compatability between systems?

Post by ZBoyer1000 »

I'm wondering about something. Is it possible for multiple operating systems using LOVE and problably Android with LOVE to be connected to a single server or locally without issues? ;)
zorg
Party member

Re: Cross Compatability between systems?

Post by zorg »

Shouldn't be an issue neither with a dedicated server, nor with p2p (peer-to-peer) solutions. One thing i heard though is that floating point stuff might not be exactly the same depending on architecture, but i might be wrong about that.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
marco.lizza
Citizen

Post by marco.lizza »

I agree with zorg. By using a suitable transport representation of the date it shouldn't be an issue at all.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I'd say it's pretty difficult in Löve to make network code that DOESN'T work across platforms. If you for some reason don't want cross-platform play, you have to deliberately prevent it.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

marco.lizza wrote:I agree with zorg. By using a suitable transport representation of the date it shouldn't be an issue at all.
By floating point number representations, i mean any kind, not just dates though :3
Like if one uses non-integer numbers as coordinates, they might ever-so-slightly differ.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
marco.lizza
Citizen

Post by marco.lizza »

zorg wrote: By floating point number representations, i mean any kind, not just dates though :3
Sorry for the typo. I meant to write data. I wasn't referring to date in any way (needless to day, dates a better represented with a string).
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

zorg wrote:
marco.lizza wrote:I agree with zorg. By using a suitable transport representation of the date it shouldn't be an issue at all.
By floating point number representations, i mean any kind, not just dates though :3
Like if one uses non-integer numbers as coordinates, they might ever-so-slightly differ.
That's true, but that can also happen even if you're just targeting a single OS, so you need to take that into account regardless of which OSs you support.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Yes! this is definitely possible in fact if you just use luasocket you shouldn't even have to do any extra effort, I at least didn't have to in my multiplayer project