Your must-have LÖVE libraries for new projects

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
loveuser
Prole

Your must-have LÖVE libraries for new projects

Post by loveuser »

Hey, friends! I'm new to LÖVE development and want to get a feel for how people start off their new projects.

I'm thinking that Hump and Bump are probably good starting points, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks is a must-have for starting a new game project. :)
ivan
Party member

Re: Your must-have LÖVE libraries for new projects

Post by ivan »

bartbes' inifile is a great choice for storing game options, localizations and other data
robin's ser is not bad too, but it's probably overkill in most cases

Depends on your project's needs.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

ivan wrote:robin's ser is not bad too, but it's probably overkill in most cases
Unless you want to save human-readable stuff, my newer library bitser is better. It's superfast, produces smaller files, is safe to use from untrusted sources and supports saving and loading class instances.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Wrinkliez
Prole

Post by Wrinkliez »

the loveframes library is amazing, probably my favorite lib, and it scares me that it's going away :( https://github.com/KennyShields/LoveFrames

i'm a big fan of tween https://github.com/kikito/tween.lua

hump also, mostly just for timers and gamestates :D http://hump.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

and its not a library, but everyone should use zerobrane!
Kenny Shields
Prole

Post by Kenny Shields »

Wrinkliez wrote:the loveframes library is amazing, probably my favorite lib, and it scares me that it's going away :( https://github.com/KennyShields/LoveFrames
I'm currently writing a new ui library that will replace Love Frames, which is main reason why Love Frames is no longer being maintained.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I was actually curious about that when I saw it. Is the whole of the new interface going to still be object-oriented, or are you going with something different? Maybe post example code of the new API's usage?

Somewhat off-topic: I feel like UI is a pretty significant hole right now in libraries. Thranduil isn't being maintained, gspot is poorly documented, suit isn't very customizable, and LoveFrames is too heavyweight for simple use cases.

GOOi looks pretty good, can't really see anything too wrong with it. I think the only reason that gets passed up a lot is because it showcases itself as being Android-oriented, when most LOVE devs probably aren't targeting Android. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thranduil probably did it the best in my opinion, but ended up being a bit difficult to use. Suit's interface is innovative, but somewhat unintuitive for people unfamiliar with IMGUI, and changing anything more than colors/fonts seems to require editing the source code. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess, maybe in the end, its people's dangerous want to always reinvent the wheel when it comes to doing complex things? But I guess it can't be helped when a good solution doesn't seem to be available right now...
Kenny Shields
Prole

Post by Kenny Shields »

Kingdaro wrote:I was actually curious about that when I saw it. Is the whole of the new interface going to still be object-oriented, or are you going with something different? Maybe post example code of the new API's usage?
Yes, the new library will still be object-oriented, though the internals are structured differently this time around. Also, the API will be very similar to Love Frames. For example, the code for creating a frame could look something like this:

Code: Select all

local frame = ui:create("Frame")
frame:setSize(500, 300)
frame:center()
frame:setTitle("New Frame")
frame:setIcon(path_to_icon)
frame:addHook("onRemove", function(obj)
    -- hook code
end)
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Generally, you're always gonna want some LUBE. I mean, in order to Hump, you gotta get prepared, bro.
Some AnAL is always a classic if you're looking to spice things up, else, a Quickie here and there is pretty good.
Nothing beats SECS, though. Man, my HardonCollider always enjoys some of that.

(inb4 flame war)
(I actually still use AnAL)

Nah but rxi's classic is pretty alright, airstruck's knife is pretty solid, and uh, tactile's reboot is a lot more sane than before. Else use boipushy I guess. Or just run your own input system. Just stay away from COCK because it's overcomplicated and useless. (Yes I refrained from using that in my controversial paragraph!)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
technomancy
Prole

Post by technomancy »

Can't imagine writing a Lua game (or Lua program of any kind) without Lume. The map/reduce/filter/reject stuff is super handy, as is having serialization, partial application, and non-destructive variants of built-in table functions.