Are there any level editor?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ozergul
Prole

Are there any level editor?

Post by ozergul »

Hi,
I am new to love2d. I wonder whether there is visual level editor for love?
zorg
Party member

Re: Are there any level editor?

Post by zorg »

There's not one, since that would restrict people's choices about how to go on coding a game. That said, i've seen a few over the years, not sure if they're released or private though.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

The unofficial LOVE2d Level Editor
Tiled Map Editor
Advanced Tile Loader

You're going to need to revise some of the code for Advanced Tile Loader to work with LOVE 10.1 and later. (read the love2d changelog and test and debug).

Advanced Tile Loader Info

If you're in a hurry, the easy way is to get an older version of love2d that is stable with ATL and then download some games, extract them and mess around with the source code or follow some of the older tutorials until you're confident enough.
In my opinion, you're better of with simple 2d arrays and any image editing software that can work with layers just to get a visual idea of what you want. In the long run you can develop your own level editor in game, this is a lot more useful (and fun).

Here is an example of a Platformer Demo from Exploding Rabbit.
ATLPlatfromerDemo.zip
(91.54 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
It works with love 9.0 which is not so much different from 10.1, the original tutorial was deleted or moved so it might be unavailable, anyway here is there website. Try Necro-Search for the tutorial if it still exists.

Exploding Rabbit

Trust me, you're better of learning this without relying on an IDE or Level Editor.
Object Oriented and Class/Inheritance Stuff Lua
Arrays in Lua

In the end, level editors really slow you down and limit your potential.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Ekamu wrote:The unofficial LOVE2d Level Editor
Tiled Map Editor
Advanced Tile Loader

You're going to need to revise some of the code for Advanced Tile Loader to work with LOVE 10.1 and later. (read the love2d changelog and test and debug).
In the end, level editors really slow you down and limit your potential.
Why would you use ATL and an older LÖVE version when you could use STI (simple tiled implementation) and the most recent Version? I dont know ATL but I think I heard someone say STI actually has more features too.

And IMO tile loaders dont necessarily hurt your creativity, they can really speed up development when you are in a hurry and fit the project well.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

Cool, I didn't know about STL.

Yeah but what if you want to create a dungeon crawler or a random level generator? depth sorting for isometric graphics and transitioning layers? In game level editors and world builders? Pseudo 3d rotation?... the list goes on and on.

Either way you need to maintain the code (at least the conf file) to work with love 10.1 and yes you need an older version of love 9.0 to run the love_tiledmap.
2016-04-23.png
2016-04-23.png (63.49 KiB) Viewed 7908 times
love_tiledmap.zip
(140.13 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
There is a lua file that holds the map info, so in a game jam relying on a level editor alone is a like a crutch that slows you down. Its scary, but think about how easy it is to edit level data in a 2d array compared to loading up tiled, changing some aspect in the map after hunting down the layer and scrolling, then reloading the map, debugging, then dumping all this stuff into a lua file which actually worked out for the team in the end.

At the end of the day, you're going to limit your creativity with a level editor, and it is much slower to edit.

I could write a for loop to draw a map that 100000 tiles wide and inside the loop generate some stuff e.t.c or I could use a level editor and work for hours and hours trying to do the same.

I know it scary but really, OOP and Multidimensional Arrays. Trust me in the end, it comes down to this.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

You're thinking about things too one-sidedly. Opening up Tiled, saving a map, and loading it with STI doesn't take that long at all. Making a tile set and translating map data to game objects is a part of both processes.

If you need to make a game where Tiled isn't suited, don't use Tiled.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

Just forget what I said, I didn't know you could export to Lua from tiled and you guys are right it's much faster and easier that way. You can always edit in code later with loops.

I'm sort of out of date since love 10.1
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

The reason LÖVE doesn't have one is because it's a framework, and tools like Game Maker and Unity are engines.
Basically what that means is that you need to code everything yourself, even the levels.
But like the posts above already mention, there are tools/libraries that help you creating these levels.