Creating Multiplayer Board Game

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
bonez001
Prole

Creating Multiplayer Board Game

Post by bonez001 »

Is it possible to make multiplayer board game in Love2d where you can store data from players like score and how many time sthey played?
In addition they can also choose an opponent. Do I need to keep in mind that it is multiplayer before I make the game or I can just prototype now?
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: Creating Multiplayer Board Game

Post by Germanunkol »

bonez001 wrote:Is it possible to make multiplayer board game in Love2d where you can store data from players like score and how many time sthey played?
Yes.
bonez001 wrote: Do I need to keep in mind that it is multiplayer before I make the game or I can just prototype now?
Yes, you definitely need to keep in mind that it is multiplayer.
Multiplayer games are fundamentally different from single player games. Also, they are much, much harder to make.
Boardgames are probably one of the easier types of multiplayer games, but it will still be very difficult.

I recommend making a prototype of the game which is "local multiplayer" first, i.e. both players are sitting on the same PC, playing in the same instance of the game, taking turns. Then when you re-make the game as a real multiplayer game, you can re-use parts from that prototype which worked well (like card drawing, piece-movement, user interface etc).
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
bonez001
Prole

Re: Creating Multiplayer Board Game

Post by bonez001 »

Germanunkol wrote:
bonez001 wrote:Is it possible to make multiplayer board game in Love2d where you can store data from players like score and how many time sthey played?
Yes.
bonez001 wrote: Do I need to keep in mind that it is multiplayer before I make the game or I can just prototype now?
Yes, you definitely need to keep in mind that it is multiplayer.
Multiplayer games are fundamentally different from single player games. Also, they are much, much harder to make.
Boardgames are probably one of the easier types of multiplayer games, but it will still be very difficult.

I recommend making a prototype of the game which is "local multiplayer" first, i.e. both players are sitting on the same PC, playing in the same instance of the game, taking turns. Then when you re-make the game as a real multiplayer game, you can re-use parts from that prototype which worked well (like card drawing, piece-movement, user interface etc).
Thanks for the reply. DO you think knowing LUBE or luasocket will help me? I'm sorry I really want to learn even if it is hard. It is hard to find tutorials in networking in love2d. ALso congratulations in your project.