Alternate ways to store data files

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
N_K
Prole

Re: Alternate ways to store data files

Post by N_K »

So to put it short, it doesn't worth the effort to use it with C++ at the moment. Anyway, it's nice to hear that the devs have plans to make it usable this way someday.

What is left for me then is to either get used to the fact that my entire game will be written in Lua, or use Löve only as a prototyping environment, and continue the development of the engine I've started earlier. (I'm not really fond of Lua, but on the other hand, I'm too lazy to develop everything from the ground up... :| )
tentus wrote:It's entirely possible to load external zip files in Love. They'd have to be in the save directory, but it's very doable. Just dang inconvenient.
Speaking of the save directory, is there a way to stop Löve from putting stuff to AppData? It would be nice to keep all the save/config files in the game's directory.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

N_K wrote:It would be nice to keep all the save/config files in the game's directory.
No, it wouldn't. The only OS this would work on is Windows XP. (Or the later Windowses if you run the game as admin (which is stupid))
N_K
Prole

Post by N_K »

Interesting then. I'm on Win7 at the moment. I play a certain game that was made with RPG Maker, and it definitely stores the save file in the same directory as the executable, and it does not require admin rights.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Well, it would work if the game is not installed to program files.
trubblegum
Party member

Post by trubblegum »

it would be impossible to write files outside of appdata using the love virtual filesystem, but the lua io lib has no such limitation.
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/index.html#index

Now I can never run another .love.
Now, for my next trick, I will break the internet :halloween: I'm going to need a volunteer from the audience ..
N_K
Prole

Post by N_K »

Alright, thanks everybody for your replies.

After playing around with Löve for an extended time, I got used to it, and decided to leave everything as is. I read the Lua manual as well on file io, and realized that I can still encode, for example, the dialog texts in a custom binary format, if I don't want them to be read by the players outside of the game.
trubblegum wrote:Now I can never run another .love.
Now, for my next trick, I will break the internet :halloween: I'm going to need a volunteer from the audience ..
I'm not sure if this meant to make fun of my original question(s), but don't worry, I don't have plans to take over the world with proprietary data formats and closed source software (this task is already assigned to Microsoft). :neko:
trubblegum
Party member

Post by trubblegum »

N_K wrote:I'm not sure if this meant to make fun of my original question(s)
No sir. I have a great deal of time for those on a quest for knowledge.
I just felt a little odd about what feels a bit like giving out a workaround to a deliberate limitation.