Humble Bundle

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tentus
Inner party member

Humble Bundle

Post by tentus »

Since there's a new Humble Bundle up today, it seems now would be a great time to strike up a discussion about it.

What are you guys' thoughts on it? Has anyone tried to get into a Bundle yet? Converse!
Kurosuke needs beta testers
trubblegum
Party member

Re: Humble Bundle

Post by trubblegum »

I converse it to you that I have no android, and therefore am incapable of forming an informed opinion, but in principle the humble bundle makes me feel happy.
See happiness below.
:D
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

You look truly happy, trubblegum.

About the bundle, I only liked "Swords & Soldiers" and "Cogs" (specially this one), so I don't think I'll get it.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

trubblegum wrote:I converse it to you that I have no android, and therefore am incapable of forming an informed opinion, but in principle the humble bundle makes me feel happy.
See happiness below.
:D
Do you have a PC, Mac, or Linux machine? Because all 5 games are available on those platforms, as direct downloads, torrents, and Steam keys.

@molul:
Aww, no love for Canabalt? I love me some Flixel! :D
trubblegum
Party member

Post by trubblegum »

Zen Bound is sweeet! Some of the colours are kinda messed up, but it's still awesome.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I want to buy it, but then: it costs monies. And I need monies for the roof above my head and the food in my stomach.

I know, I know, pay what you want, but I want to pay more than the Linux average, for great justice. Although the longer I put it off, the more it is going to cost me.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Robin wrote:... the longer I put it off, the more it is going to cost me.
I would actually be very interested in the numbers behind that. It seems to me that the "big spenders" like the HumbleBrony group are going to find out pretty early and make their contributions. Meanwhile, people who haven't heard of it will trickle in and decide to "try it out" for a lower dollar amount, since they don't know if the system is going to work out for them or not.

What do you guys think, does the average go up or down over the course of the sale? Is there any solid data on this?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I've observed it nearly every bundle, and anecdotally it seems to start very high, drop low over a period of a couple days, and then slowly climb after that.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

They have a smart tactic: you need to pay more than the average to get Swords & Soldiers, which rises over time.

Note Linux people pay the most, on average. They have quite a few Linux/games on Linux advocates among them, who want the average to be high, to get developers more interested in releasing games for Linux. So they consistently raise the average, especially the Linux average.

Plus, I've seen it rise. The Linux average now is $9,57, earlier today was $9,55 and a while before that it was below the $9.

EDIT: yeah, I guess most of the real fanatics start early.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

Still, I wouldn't say this one is all that good, especially compared to the 3rd one and the Frozenbyte one. On that note, what happenned to the large bundles of really good games? Recently they've been smaller bundles of lesser-known and lesser-liked (by me) games, and they overlap a heck of a lot now - I'm sure Cogs has been in at least 2 bundles previously.

EDIT: It would be interesting to see the modal purchase, but I'm pretty sure its $0.01. Maybe a nice frequency curve of the purchase amounts. I wonder if one could elicit that kind of information from the HB team.