LÖVE 11.0 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.0 released!

Post by Davidobot »

ivan wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:28 am
PGUp wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:16 am xp no longer supported ? that is a bad news
I don't see this mentioned in the changelog. Can somebody confirm?
It's mentioned in this reddit thread by slime.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Ah, that makes me somewhat reluctant to upgrade. I like to test my stuff on slow, deprecated machines. Not a big deal but still...
Has anybody tried it on old versions of Android? 0.10 worked fine on Gingerbread.
KayleMaster
Party member

Post by KayleMaster »

Doesn't not supported mean it may run on XP, it may not. If it doesn't run bartbes/slime won't help you.
I think it's fine for testing purposes.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

ExPorygon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 am I don't think I quite understand what queueable audio sources are. Can someone elaborate further? How are they different from regular sources and what unique things can you do with them?
Apart from what Zorg said, you can also have a song with an intro, a loop, and optionally an "outro". Or a sound effect like an engine or motor starting, looping, and stopping. Not 100% sure about the tail part, I'd have to check, but it's certainly possible with OpenAL.

One inconvenient of this usage is that if the sounds are not encoded losslessly (i.e. WAV), the transitions/loop may have audible artifacts.

I'm not finding a way to loop one of the samples. Maybe it's not possible with this API.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 am
ExPorygon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 am I don't think I quite understand what queueable audio sources are. Can someone elaborate further? How are they different from regular sources and what unique things can you do with them?

One inconvenient of this usage is that if the sounds are not encoded losslessly (i.e. WAV), the transitions/loop may have audible artifacts.

I'm not finding a way to loop one of the samples. Maybe it's not possible with this API.
I'd contest that claim since 1. SoundData objects always use a samplepoint based format, and 2. the issue would lie sorely in the Decoder's :decode method; looping is supported in a manual fashion.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Version 11.0 seems to completely break compatability of old mesh-shader combos, like in this example.

I haven't found anything in the changelog that would provide hints as to why those examples straight-out don't work.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

It may have to do with this:

Apr 03 01:20:22 <slime> mesh:setDrawRange has changed to take start and count arguments, instead of min and max arguments

https://love2d.org/wiki/Mesh:setDrawRange
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

davidmekersa wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:14 am
pixelicidio wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:20 am Is good to know Love2D have a new release to keep the project up to date.

But this was a big-breaking-code change:
Changed colour values to be in the range 0-1, rather than 0-255
Saludos!
You're right... I produced hundred of tutorials videos for Love and now I need to check which one is using colors.
Corona SDK did the same once upon a time, a big mess too.
I tried twice to update my game to 11.0 and nuked it.

Third time last night at 4 am I just said 'aww heeeellll noooo' followed by grumblings of 'nawwww' and 4 hours of grunting like Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead, and did this:

Code: Select all

local n255 = 0.003921568627451
function setNormalisedColor(r, g, b, a)
  return love.graphics.setColor(r*n255, g*n255, b*n255, a*n255)
end
Then did a massive search for all setColor and swapped it for setNormalisedColor. Didn't have any problems with my shaders. Next problem is manually changing my colour values for particle effects. Then everything seemed to work as before.

Next up I can't solve this:

canvas:newImageData(x, y, w, h)
throws up 'bad argument #5 to 'newImageData' (number expected, got no value)'

I get no joy from https://love2d.org/wiki/Canvas:newImageData

canvas:newImageData() on its own works but the problem is I am taking a part of the canvas and saving that out separatly, so I would like the x, y, w, h params, I'm not sure what the fifth parameter is - the supreme being? the source of all life?

Congrats to all devs for version 11.0! Well done all. Is it time to set up a funding system for yourselves?

[EDIT]

Ok so I did something equivalent to a monkey throwing poop at a chessboard to determine the next move:

canvas:newImageData(x, y, w, h, 1)
and I got 'bad argument #6 to 'newImageData' (number expected, got no value)'

Ok man,

canvas:newImageData(x, y, w, h, 1, 1)
gave me 'invalid rectangle dimensions'.

So then I inverted time and space like thus:

canvas:newImageData(1, 1, x, y, w, h)
And it worked, the image data is grabbed and can save out fine.

p.s. I have no idea what these values are or indeed what I'm doing, but it's stopped screaming at me. That is all.
Last edited by drunken_munki on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Peeps
Citizen

Post by Dr. Peeps »

ivan wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:22 am Ah, that makes me somewhat reluctant to upgrade. I like to test my stuff on slow, deprecated machines. Not a big deal but still...
Has anybody tried it on old versions of Android? 0.10 worked fine on Gingerbread.
Ivan, I was also running 0.10.2 on Gingerbread quite happily. Now I can't get 11.0 to run on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.4) .... I also like to test games on older hardware, the idea being "if it runs on this, it'll run on anything". (Older hardware also happens to be all I own. :) )

I think the Android version requirements must have gone up with LÖVE 11.0, I'm just not sure where to find out what the minimum required version is.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

The problem is, certain graphics API are not supported on old OSes, and it appears that for this project, supporting multiple graphics API versions for compatibility with very old OSes is not an option. I can understand it, dropped OSes still having very large global market share notwithstanding.