Futuristic Topdown Racer Feedback

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
xlr8877
Prole

Futuristic Topdown Racer Feedback

Post by xlr8877 »

Hello everyone, I've been in the middle of developing a Futuristic Top-down Racer in my free time for about 6 months and it's going in a direction that I'm very pleased with, I'm taking an interest survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MZ9DF29, I am not giving away any specific mechanics yet or a prototype but I will say it's very fast and it's not the same as F-Zero by any means but those games encouraged me to make it.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: Futuristic Topdown Racer Feedback

Post by Jeeper »

The more information you give out, the better the feedback will be. Ideas are in general not really worth that much, so you don't have to worry about anyone "stealing" it. We all have our own million dollar ideas anyway.

Answering your survey anyways, good luck!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Is it actually top-down in the same vein as straight down camera racers like Death Rally/Micro Machines? Or is it faux-3d like F-Zero? Because F-Zero/Super Mario Kart aren't top-down. Death Rally and Micro Machines are.

*Death Rally was a game by the makers of Duke Nukem 3D in the '90s. It was really cool and had some 3D effects to some of the scenery. I'd always wanted to make my own version one day.

I don't think you need to be too worried about people stealing ideas like this. Many games have been made like that. Your job is to make sure your version has enough difference to make it stand out. If you have a Twitter or FaceBook, post dev updates and see if anyone wants it. That's what all the devs I follow do. None of them are afraid of their ideas being stolen and it's a good way to get feedback and maybe even inspire others. I follow a lot of devs because they make some really cool stuff that gives me and other people ideas for our own cool stuff. You can't just keep the project to yourself. Eventually people need to know about it or it will just get left behind.
xlr8877
Prole

Post by xlr8877 »

No, it's true topdown, not mode7 or 3d topdown.
xlr8877
Prole

Post by xlr8877 »

And it's not a worry about stolen ideas I'm just trying to get some demographics about interest in the kind of game.