Does Löve support Linux ARM?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
molul
Party member

Re: Does Löve support Linux ARM?

Post by molul »

That's what I thought (but hoped not to be the case). Weeeell, it's going to be a long month of June XD If I manage to make this I'll post a tutorial here in case other people face the same problems.

Thanks, by the way!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Can't you install binaries on the device itself, then build on there?
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

I'm almost sure I can't, but I'll ask the people who provided the device if that would be an option. Thanks for the tip!

Edit1: Confirmed: it wouldn't be possible as the device has only 256MB and it's almost full already. But they told me I could build the necessary dependencies on a raspberry pi. They'll try to build luajit on Monday and if my cross build process gets luajit properly, I'll get a raspberry and continue building the rest.

They keep asking me to switch to sdl2, but I just don't want to give up, especially because I have so many löve libraries I can reuse to develop much faster (and because I'd need to learn sdl xD).

Edit2:
One more silly question: as Raspberry pi has the same ARMv7 processor add this Rockchip RK3066, if I built LÖVE on the Pi, could I just copy the binaries to the RK3066 and run löve? This might be the fastest solution I think.
Last edited by molul on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Probably, but the trick is to make sure you don't accidentally link your code to a raspberry pi-specific library. As the only one that comes to mind is the GLES driver you'll probably be fine.

Also, don't double or triple post.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

(Sorry for triple posting, tried to fix it but couldn't delete the extra posts :( )
bartbes wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:14 am the trick is to make sure you don't accidentally link your code to a raspberry pi-specific library. As the only one that comes to mind is the GLES driver you'll probably be fine.
Could you please elaborate this? How could I make sure I don't link to the GLES driver? I mean, is there a step where I should be like "Ok, careful here. Do this instead of that"?

On the other hand, I think I read that not using GLES driver results on LÖVE running really slow. I wonder if it depends on the project. Mine is just a simple UI on a 1280x720 window, with a couple of background images, and a few textures showing on screen, so maybe it wouldn't be so slow?

EDIT: I think I better open an specific thread about this issue: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85346