Windows XP Support!!!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
DarkShroom
Citizen

Windows XP Support!!!

Post by DarkShroom »

I know it is not officially supported but does anyone have any testing experience or advice here?

What I have is a situation where I have found african guys potentially able to help me out and enjoy my game, they seem to have a lot of Windows XP systems still.

Surely it's an interesting perspective... millions of people all round the world using our systems of the past to do things now!

Perhaps I should stay on an old love version maybe? I have Love 2D 11.1 at the moment... would anyone advise at all sticking with this version for my framework?

Seems like just dropping Windows XP support is a little short sighted, what challenges are involved with these libraries then? I will investigate further myself the prevalence of Windows XP systems in the developing world.

Anyway some of them may test it, I might find the don't support the right shaders anyway :)

Regards, Richard Ellicott
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Windows XP Support!!!

Post by pgimeno »

Use 0.10.2 and you'll be fine. Old OS = old programs, it's just that simple. I don't think it's short-sighted to require an OS that supports more advanced features, in order to have more advanced features.

Edit: It's a bit like saying that GTA V should still support PS1.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Hello Richard.
Generally it's better to test and support the most common operating system not the oldest.
Technology is moving on so it's normal to drop support for older operating systems.
Very few gamers are using XP so you shouldn't be concerned if you are serious about making games.
And note that 0.10.X only supports Windows XP - Service Pack 3.
DarkShroom
Citizen

Post by DarkShroom »

No I am okay with it and feel we might work on XP, i debated with myself, and I also cannot be trapped that far in the past.

I mean we do support Linux... I LIKE the changes of version 11.1 and already updated all my colour code... I'm not changing it back.

Thanks for your input, i thought well the thing is I am already targeting low spec systems as it is. A shame maybe, but I was thinking, well I NEED shaders for example, and it is highly possible I recon we do run on XP for the time being, but this system this guy tried it on, maybe it doesn't even have the shader hardware.... An ESSENTIAL feature for me to be honest... I really want to be part of a new burst of what I see as a second life for the Love 2D engine (just my sorta perspective of finding so much of the old code made in the past and incompatible with current versions)

Part of the beauty of this system seems to be that the API is so so much more beautiful than Unity 3D that I was working with last time... the API of that feels like it is falling under it's own weight, like a modern Perl.

Anyway, no hostility intended of course, beautiful product this.... thanks for everyone's work on it!

-Richard