LÖVE 11.2 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by slime » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am

Jasoco wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm
For some reason 11.2 ignores my vsync setting and causes my game to run over 60FPS, which in my project actually makes it very laggy. I have vsync set to true both in the conf.lua file and being set with the setMode function.

macOS 10.14.
jessemillar wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:24 pm
My game also runs incredibly quickly on 11.2 (similar to Jasoco) but setting vsync to an integer in conf.lua does not appear to affect the game's render speed.
macOS 10.14 has a broken implementation of OpenGL vsync unfortunately. Hopefully it will be fixed in an OS update. There's nothing we can do to fix it on our side.

It works in 11.1 because that was built with the macOS 10.13 SDK and macOS 10.14 uses legacy codepaths internally when running it (it's also why dark mode doesn't work properly in love 11.1 but does in 11.2).

User avatar
MissDanish
Citizen
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by MissDanish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:04 am

slime wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am
macOS 10.14 has a broken implementation of OpenGL vsync unfortunately. Hopefully it will be fixed in an OS update. There's nothing we can do to fix it on our side.

It works in 11.1 because that was built with the macOS 10.13 SDK and macOS 10.14 uses legacy codepaths internally when running it (it's also why dark mode doesn't work properly in love 11.1 but does in 11.2).
I guess this would be a pretty good reason to move away from OpenGL and onto Vulkan or something like that?
Provides free hugs :neko:

PGUp
Citizen
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by PGUp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 am

LÖVE 11.2 for Android also includes fixes to support the Play Store after recent Android changes
https://love2d.org/wiki/Game_Distribution/APKTool
can I use this to export to playstore yet?
-

User avatar
Duster
Prole
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by Duster » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 am

I noticed there's no 11.2 APK on the bitbucket, is it just pending or is it RIP?

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by slime » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:51 pm

slime wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am
Jasoco wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm
For some reason 11.2 ignores my vsync setting and causes my game to run over 60FPS, which in my project actually makes it very laggy. I have vsync set to true both in the conf.lua file and being set with the setMode function.

macOS 10.14.
jessemillar wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:24 pm
My game also runs incredibly quickly on 11.2 (similar to Jasoco) but setting vsync to an integer in conf.lua does not appear to affect the game's render speed.
macOS 10.14 has a broken implementation of OpenGL vsync unfortunately. Hopefully it will be fixed in an OS update. There's nothing we can do to fix it on our side.
Good news, a workaround has been implemented in SDL: https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/73f3ca85ac0e
The next version of love will include a version of SDL with that change. :D

Duster wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 am
I noticed there's no 11.2 APK on the bitbucket, is it just pending or is it RIP?
Pending. You can see some recent commit activity here: https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... ommits/all

User avatar
MissDanish
Citizen
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by MissDanish » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm

slime wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:51 pm
Good news, a workaround has been implemented in SDL: https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/73f3ca85ac0e
The next version of love will include a version of SDL with that change. :D
Not to rush you or anything, but do you think there will be a 11.3 or will this fix be reserved for something like 12.0?
Provides free hugs :neko:

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by slime » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 am

MissDanish wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm
Not to rush you or anything, but do you think there will be a 11.3 or will this fix be reserved for something like 12.0?
There will be a version 11.3.

User avatar
xNick1
Party member
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 am
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by xNick1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 am

Great job, I migrated my game to Love 11.2! I like the new stuff!
Currently working on a lucid dreaming adventure called Aarstider: http://bit.ly/2mXmgPI

User avatar
Jasoco
Inner party member
Posts: 3629
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:35 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Contact:

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by Jasoco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm

slime wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 am
macOS 10.14 has a broken implementation of OpenGL vsync unfortunately. Hopefully it will be fixed in an OS update. There's nothing we can do to fix it on our side.

It works in 11.1 because that was built with the macOS 10.13 SDK and macOS 10.14 uses legacy codepaths internally when running it (it's also why dark mode doesn't work properly in love 11.1 but does in 11.2).
Great. So I should just stick to 11.0 for now? (I don't have 11.1. Just 11.2 which ignores vsync no matter what value I use because of the bug) 11.0 has worked perfectly for me so far. If 11.1 still works, where can I find that? (I keep every Löve version I download for testing older projects when needed)

User avatar
slime
Solid Snayke
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:

Re: LÖVE 11.2 released!

Post by slime » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Jasoco wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Great. So I should just stick to 11.0 for now? (I don't have 11.1. Just 11.2 which ignores vsync no matter what value I use because of the bug) 11.0 has worked perfectly for me so far. If 11.1 still works, where can I find that? (I keep every Löve version I download for testing older projects when needed)
11.0 and 11.1 crash in macOS 10.14. love 11.3 will include an updated version of SDL which has working vsync on macOS.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests