Distributing lua files

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Coder567
Prole

Distributing lua files

Post by Coder567 »

Hi
I have simple question about lua file distribution. When you release your game does that mean everyone can read your lua files or can they be somehow protected?

thanks
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Distributing lua files

Post by pgimeno »

It's so simple that it has already been discussed lots of times. Here's a meta-link:

https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... 62#p223862

If you think you can add something to these discussions, feel free to do so.
Coder567
Prole

Post by Coder567 »

Thanks for the link! I was googling with wrong words its seems =/
Lot of reading to do...
Any opinions on what's the best method?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Sure;
In so many words, "Don't stress yourself on it too much and concentrate on actually making your game." :3
Oh, and do include licenses for the assets, your code and/or the game in general, as well.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

It is understandable if you want to hide your code. It is really stressful when other people see your code and criticize it.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Having your shortcomings never pointed out to you is a double-edged blade.
Coder567
Prole

Post by Coder567 »

ingsoc451 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 pm It is understandable if you want to hide your code. It is really stressful when other people see your code and criticize it.
Some people should hide their code because it's so bad, (jk) lol

seriously speaking I was thinking how can you ever sell your game if it's open source?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Like how you do it if it were closed? You can still sue people's asses if they try to make a clone directly using your assets (and even code), if you want or care, that is. The fact that people can see your code (and assets) doesn't necessarily mean anything beyond that one simple fact.

If you're worried about piracy, then rest assured that you didn't imagine all those closed-source games being cracked either. :3

If you're worried about losing money, most people that will buy your game will pay money for it since you did make it to be enjoyable and not just a quick cash-grab, right? (contrary to what someone else might advocate for...)

That said, you can still do things, like offer a soundtrack that has tracks different from how they are in-game; many games have that; or if you're more graphical/design-oriented, offer an artbook/chronicle where you collected the stuff you learned while making/designing the game.

I digress since i sidetracked way too much, but the point is, one can still sell their game even if it's open-source.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Coder567
Prole

Post by Coder567 »

I'm mainly just worried of people not bothering to pay if it's open source. Some one could put the game in free download in their site. Or even ask money for them self for it. I'm not happy about the idea of having to sue people afterwards :)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Again, my question is still this: if your game was closed source, what would stop people from doing the same thing?