LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Helvecta
Party member

Re: LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

Post by Helvecta »

Don't mind me, just waiting for LOVE 0.9.0

"Bump." -CMFIend420
borix134
Prole

Post by borix134 »

It's nice, but may I ask for in the new updates you guys quit replacing functions with others that do the same thing? All it really does is make code, and tutorials obselete. Perhaps instead of changing syntax, you guys add new features and fix bugs? Thats just my thought of it though.
Last edited by borix134 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

borix134 wrote:It's nice, but may I ask for in the new updates you guys quit replacing functions with others that do the same thing? All it really does is make code, and tutorials obselete. Perhaps instead of changing syntax, you guys add new features and fix bugs? Thats just my though of it though.
Löve isn't finalized. A lot is going to change before 1.0 ever comes along. You should have seen the 5 > 6 changes.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

borix134 wrote:It's nice, but may I ask for in the new updates you guys quit replacing functions with others that do the same thing? All it really does is make code, and tutorials obselete. Perhaps instead of changing syntax, you guys add new features and fix bugs? Thats just my thought of it though.
API consistency and cleanliness is in many ways just as important (if not more) than new features and bug fixes. An intuitive and clean API does much more than just cause a couple minutes of trouble for people updating to the better API.

That being said, 0.9.0 has the most feature additions and bug fixes of any update in the past several years at least. Check out the changelog on the wiki or the (mostly) complete version history in the LÖVE code repository.

As Jasoco mentioned, the fact that LÖVE isn't at version 1.0 yet should give you some hints about the volatility of the API between versions. :)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

slime wrote:
borix134 wrote:It's nice, but may I ask for in the new updates you guys quit replacing functions with others that do the same thing? All it really does is make code, and tutorials obselete. Perhaps instead of changing syntax, you guys add new features and fix bugs? Thats just my thought of it though.
API consistency and cleanliness is in many ways just as important (if not more) than new features and bug fixes. An intuitive and clean API does much more than just cause a couple minutes of trouble for people updating to the better API.

That being said, 0.9.0 has the most feature additions and bug fixes of any update in the past several years at least. Check out the changelog on the wiki or the (mostly) complete version history in the LÖVE code repository.

As Jasoco mentioned, the fact that LÖVE isn't at version 1.0 yet should give you some hints about the volatility of the API between versions. :)
Does the Fused command line prevent compiled .exe and such from having their code read?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

No. The code (in Lua or intermediate format) has to be readable or LÖVE can't execute it. The fused command just sets a flag which is used to force a certain behaviour.

LÖVE does not do automatic obfuscation and/or bytecode compilation. The latter would give issues anyway, so it's your job to do it in a way that you think is satisfactory.
Shallow indentations.