Focus more on building beautiful levels, and less on coding.
Optikon is a free and simple drag-and-drop level designer, which makes stunning 2D level design in LÖVE possible for everybody.
Optikon is a work in progress. Stick with us as we continue to roll out updates and add new and exciting features.
To get started, download Optikon here: https://optikon.co.uk/download.html and run the installation file. Optikon supports 64-bit and 32-bit Windows 7 , 8 and 10 machines. You can run Optikon on Linux and Mac OSX using WINE.
Drag and Drop Level Design
Optikon is a simple drag-and-drop level designer for LÖVE 2D, which generates basic Lua code in real-time as you create your level, so that you can focus more on building great levels and less on repetitive coding. Simply copy and paste this code straight into a .lua file to run your game, or click "Run" in Optikon to play your level in an instant.
The visual level designer (VLD) window is scrollable, which is ideal for large maps and horizontal/vertical platformer games.
- Create your own Custom Components and generated code!
- Fix for the 'duplicate component' bug;
- Stability improvements for Optikon used in WINE on Linux and MacOS.
- File browser and better file management for LOVE Lua projects;
- Improvements to Lua generated code;
- Support for plugins;
- Easy image component animations;
- Run level on connected Android device from PC.
NOTE: (1) Optikon does not export to 'main.lua'. Please note that when exporting your Optikon project (Project > Export Project), you can change the name of the lua file and make your own custom class by manually editing the lua code.
(2) you do not have to credit us or reference your use of this tool in your game, although obviously it would be nice if you did!
(3) you can fully customise Optikon's code output and tailor it to your project.