LÖVE for Android unable to open *.love files. Alternatives?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
AuahDark
Party member

LÖVE for Android unable to open *.love files. Alternatives?

Post by AuahDark »

One of the currently most annoying problem with LÖVE Android is that it can't open *.love files inside the filesystem. The reason behind this problem because Android Nougat changed completely how file should be handled to another program, but at same time this also completely broke file association support by extension. That means it's not possible to tell Android "Hey, if the file extension is *.love, open it with LÖVE for Android" because Android doesn't know the file extension once it gets processed and LÖVE doesn't know the file extension once it retrieve file to open.

There are alternatives or solution to this:
1. Remove support for it. The most laziest solution. To be honest I don't want to use this solution unless there's no choice.
2. Create file picker inside LÖVE Android. This will match the behavior of LÖVE iOS. IMO this is the most plausible option to have, but my Android development capability skill doesn't reach this part yet. I'm not even entirely sure if this is possible in Android due how it changes. If anyone of you know how to do this part, send me PR to LÖVE Android repo and I'll happily review it.

As always, if you have different opinion about this, feel free to tell me in LÖVE Discord or here, although I don't check the forums often.
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!