[Game Jam, Aug 28-31] Board Game + ??? = AWESOMENESS

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Davidobot
Party member

[Game Jam, Aug 28-31] Board Game + ??? = AWESOMENESS

Post by Davidobot »

Hey everyone!

I'm running a game jam from August 28th-31st, with the main theme of taking a board/tabletop game and putting a video game twist on it! itch.io link: https://itch.io/jam/board-games-dx

I thought I'd advertise on this community a bit - there are prizes involved and quite a few cool ideas to be made, I reckon!

I was mainly inspired by Chess Wars, and RogueJack. Videos/gifs for inspiration: RogueJack, Chess Wars
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Jeeper
Party member

Re: [Game Jam, Aug 28-31] Board Game + ??? = AWESOMENESS

Post by Jeeper »

Sounds really cool, I will join if I have time :)

I love board games, would it be "ok" to create an original board game? So not just remaking an existing board-game, but rather coming up with your own.

Either way I hope I can join :)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Hey dude! Long time no chat. I keep seeing your games pop up on Twitter and the Projects board here - they're all so cool! I really loved Final Voyage and Cardcade. The amount of polish you put into your jam games is just phenomenal!
Jeeper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 pm I love board games, would it be "ok" to create an original board game? So not just remaking an existing board-game, but rather coming up with your own.
If you're putting a video game spin on it (á la 100% Orange Juice, or Mario Party), then I don't see why not! The rule is just

Code: Select all

Base your game off of at least one board or tabletop game!
so it doesn't prevent you from adapting your own board games)
Jeeper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 pm Either way I hope I can join :)
That makes two of us! :3
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Hymyviiksi
Prole

Post by Hymyviiksi »

Hi Jeeper!

The idea of the jam is to take elements from an existing board game but giving it a videogame spin. You could make a little board game in the month before the jam, then use that as material for your jam game. Bonus points if your board game's board / pieces are in a printable format so that other people could try it out too! :awesome:
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Davidobot wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:02 pm Hey dude! Long time no chat. I keep seeing your games pop up on Twitter and the Projects board here - they're all so cool! I really loved Final Voyage and Cardcade. The amount of polish you put into your jam games is just phenomenal!
Jeeper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 pm I love board games, would it be "ok" to create an original board game? So not just remaking an existing board-game, but rather coming up with your own.
If you're putting a video game spin on it (á la 100% Orange Juice, or Mario Party), then I don't see why not! The rule is just

Code: Select all

Base your game off of at least one board or tabletop game!
so it doesn't prevent you from adapting your own board games)
Jeeper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:23 pm Either way I hope I can join :)
That makes two of us! :3
Yeah it has been a while, feel free to add me on Discord (Jeeper#2222)! Thank you for the kind words :)

Thank you for your reply, I think I will base it off an existing board game, no reason to over-complicate things xD