Favourite inspiring/unique games

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Favourite inspiring/unique games

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Hey everyone. I'm talking about unicorns today.
What are your favourite games of uniqueness and inspiration? :ultrashocked:
Wait, what does this mean? Well I mean games that, not necessarily are your favourite to play, but that you give a thumbs up and like due to the way the devs did stuff. It could be you haven't even played the game or find the game boring but just like one mechanic.
Can be more than one game.

Criteria/Rules
(if you want)

->Should be a game( no duh :? ),even chess, but mostly video games ^^

->Should have a unique mechanic that you admire(? :P)

->You should give the reason you like the game/the game's uniqueness( for people who read your reason: if they know they know, If they don't they can ask or go find out, just in case of, you know , for spoilers, if their any)

->Can post more than once

->(optional) a picture of the game :P

Here are mine to start it off, though I have a lot because I always try to study these type of stuff :) .

-Reigns: I like its simple binary way of giving you two decisions, but yet gives off the impression of a feeling of realism and deep strategy :P, especially the game of thrones one :crazy: . Though can get repetitive.

-Undertale: The way the final boss goes against the games art style gives you the feeling of it's strangeness. And the unique battle scenes.ImageBTW, this is not the final boss.

-Alien Isolation: The way the xenomorph(main villain(?)) tracks the player, with sound, sight, etc. And the fact that the behaviour is controlled so it doesn't always overwhelm you even if it can.

-Dwarf fortress: Generates a whole history, come on!Image
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Party member

Re: Favourite unique games

I added another one of mine, which I knew a while ago. AI DUNGEON(2?). This game takes in any input and generates a story out of it using its AI data on its server thats up to 4gigs.
I played as a wizard which allows me to do, like, everything.

Though sometimes the game leads you to its own story line, kind of ignoring/misinterpreting what you typed.
I typed "summon Naruto" and the demon dude that was threatening me asked me if he looked like a manga character, at that point I was inpressed but also like "hmmmm".
Another time I was supposed to "die"(in the game :P ), but I don't even know what happened and I was still alive? :P :rofl:

darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Of course Factorio :)
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Party member

darkfrei wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:51 pm Of course Factorio :)
hmm...Factorio..I've heard of it but I don't really know what's it's about...
so I googled it. :rofl:
Factorio...
It seems like it's one of those complex games that let's you build complicated stuff to really complicated stuff(Like Minecraft) and it has a lot of depth due to its mechanics.

This reminds me of another one of mine( I have many "one of mines"), RimWorld.
It has an AI that creates procedural generated story that controls the tempo of the game. (It also has good NPC ai).

darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:36 pm This reminds me of another one of mine( I have many "one of mines"), RimWorld.
It has an AI that creates procedural generated story that controls the tempo of the game. (It also has good NPC ai).
I like RimWorld, but it needs too much time to play it.

The first try of Factorio was about 50 hours to win. I want that the RimWorld can be modded for conveyors, chests and automatical production. :)

Also Factorio needs Lua for modding ;)
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:36 pm ...
This reminds me of another one of mine( I have many "one of mines"), RimWorld.
Haha, I was going to mention RimWorld too! I'm a retired forum moderator for RimWorld, and love that game - and for the same reasons! :D

Also, I really loved the (very!) old school Exile II: Crystal Souls game. It was the first Spiderweb Software game I ever discovered, back in the early 90's. It's a massive exploration RPG made for Win3.1. You need an emulator to play it today. ;)
See some screenshots here: https://www.old-games.com/download/6088 ... stal-souls
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Too many to list. If I have to mention the most unique one above all others, that would probably be The Sentinel. Its successor Sentinel Returns is more of a remake than a sequel. Hard to get in the beginning, the eerie atmosphere captivates you into a world where conservation of energy is enforced by a dark watchman figure that can only tolerate trees.

But there are many others, including for instance Thrust II, that I even wrote a remake of. In Löve, the most unique game I have played that has also been a favourite is Marvellous Inc, a game about writing assembler programs to control robots. I can say with pride that I beat all levels.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Same with pgimeno actually; i'll list a few below, but the three games on my all-time list are:
- OneShot
- Dust: An Elysian Tail
- Bastion

I can't even write anything specific about them, i just enjoyed them and also fully played them.

A few others:

- Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion (get the HD version if you want to buy it) - If horror games aren't your thing, this probably won't do much for you (although the jumpscares and the monsters are both toggleable), but it does have a nice story and all.

- The Neverhood - Unique athmosphere (imo) combining creepy ambient stuff in 3D FPS view segments and upbeat music in the 2D side-scrolling segments; and it's claymation.

- Fez - Say what you will about the creator, the game is enjoyable, and it has a neat focus on the "2D sidescroller but actually on the 4 faces of a cube" feature it showcases; with the camera being orthographic, rotating the 3rd dimension aligns different parts of the world with each other, making progression possible... and it has tons of secrets as well.

- The Witness - Same as above really, very neatly plays around with perspective and i find the puzzles to be just the right amount of hard, for the most part... the world is also gorgeous.

- I'd consider stuff like Myst and Quern under one umbrella - very athmospheric and relaxing for the most part; but they are puzzle games. (The Neverhood would also be here, but that's a bit different due to its style)

- Portal 1/2, Quantum Connundrum, Antichamber, Manifold Garden - Dimensional manipulation, Portals, Non-Euclidean geometries with and without 6 degrees of freedom, infinite regress...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Oh yes, now that Zorg mentioned Fez, I was reminded of Echochrome! Great and very unique game that has inspired many others, probably including Fez itself.
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

I really liked the puzzle game Steven Sausage Roll, you discover more and more layer of gameplay.