PLEASE!! Opinions on app icon

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

PLEASE!! Opinions on app icon

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Hello all,

I have designs for an app icon and I'm not sure which one fits the game and looks best.

I have a game I'm in the process of making and I'm trying to think of an icon.
The game is a business sim that has the player in the place of a "dungeon miner", meaning getting resources from a dungeon. They are given some professional dungeon crawlers (workers/employees) that are split into groups and the player has to manage them through dialog, the most thing the player sees is the dialogScreen that has leaders of groups coming to the player to complain, give reports or ask for something.

The characters are all in pixelart ascii graphics(to show that it's like a rougelike business sim) and they have different personalities, you can make alliances with other races, have people in groups rebel, etc.

So, I know you're not designers or anything like that, but now I had designs for the app icon and I can't decide which one is the best. Please give opinions on designs and you can suggest ones if you want.

Comments are appreciated (especially those that say what B/C looks like to them).
Attachments
A)<br />Does it look weird? That's my concern.<br />Note: background can be changed, just checking general design
A)
Does it look weird? That's my concern.
Note: background can be changed, just checking general design
icon.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 9969 times
B)<br />What do you think it looks like? If it's just a tie then this design doesn't work, it's supposed to be 2 things...But does it accurately represent ascii graphics
B)
What do you think it looks like? If it's just a tie then this design doesn't work, it's supposed to be 2 things...But does it accurately represent ascii graphics
dungroll2.png (11.28 KiB) Viewed 9969 times
C)<br />The same as B) but black. Does it accurately represent ascii graphics and what happens in the game?
C)
The same as B) but black. Does it accurately represent ascii graphics and what happens in the game?
dungroll3.png (11.36 KiB) Viewed 9969 times
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Davidobot
Party member

Re: PLEASE!! Opinions on app icon

Post by Davidobot »

I can't really see B or C as being anything other than a tie (is it also supposed to be a sword?)

In general, these don't really work as app icons because they have too much small detail. Here's a good overview of good app icon design: https://99designs.co.uk/blog/web-digita ... app-icons/

A better rep of tie and sword would probably be a tie with a sword tie clip a la http://www.thelittlesaintstore.com/3334 ... e-clip.jpg
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

same, 2 and 3 are just ties. First one is weird combining pixels with higher resolution sword.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I think they all miss the mark but if I really really really needed to puck one then is close the middle one.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Party member

Woowww!!! Thans a lot, all, for pulling me out of the pool of blava-I mean lava- I was about to walk into. I wasn't too strong with any of them either but I couldn't think of anything else after sitting and thinking for a few days.
Davidobot wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 pm I can't really see B or C as being anything other than a tie (is it also supposed to be a sword?)

In general, these don't really work as app icons because they have too much small detail. Here's a good overview of good app icon design: https://99designs.co.uk/blog/web-digita ... app-icons/

A better rep of tie and sword would probably be a tie with a sword tie clip a la http://www.thelittlesaintstore.com/3334 ... e-clip.jpg
Thnx for the sites. As espected, those just looked like ties (yes, it was supposed to be a swordtie :cry: ) though I don't think the adventure time example sword clip will work for me, but I'll read that other site.
dusoft wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:25 pm same, 2 and 3 are just ties. First one is weird combining pixels with higher resolution sword.
Thnx, that's what I thought about (1) too.
togFox wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:30 pm I think they all miss the mark but if I really really really needed to puck one then is close the middle one.
Thnx for the output( and for picking one :ultrahappy: ).

I made a new design and I need output on this one too, (I try to think through a design a lot before making it, and I read the link to 99design ... and yes, I'm not that good at this). All honesty like last time!!!
Attachments
The name of the app is called Dungeon Rollcall, I hope.
The name of the app is called Dungeon Rollcall, I hope.
clipdde.png (7.88 KiB) Viewed 9857 times

Party member

Does that work? It's fine to say it also isn't icon worthy

togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

The graphic is good. Portrays 'corporate'.

The text is odd in an intriguing way.
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Party member

togFox wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:28 am The graphic is good. Portrays 'corporate'.

The text is odd in an intriguing way.
Thnk you.
Does that mean it's okay, or maybe it's okay but doesn't fit an app icon?

togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I don't know what a dungeon roll call is so it's intriguing in a good way.
Current project:
Party member

togFox wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm I don't know what a dungeon roll call is so it's intriguing in a good way.
It's supposed ro reference to you organizing a bunch of (fairly a lot ~100) people, hence the roll call( rollcall).
Heheh, then I guess I might use it. Thnx! :ultrahappy: