What UI library do you recommend?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ddabrahim
Party member

What UI library do you recommend?

Post by ddabrahim »

Hi.

I'm new to LOVE and I'm looking for a UI library for more than just games.
I did find this list on GitHub but can not really decide which one worth to try:
https://github.com/love2d-community/awesome-love2d#ui

Which library would you recommend?
It would be important to be compatible with Love 11.3, to be maintained and preferably to be cross-platform mobile/desktop but also interested in desktop only solutions that works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

I would appreciate any recommendations.
Thank you.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: What UI library do you recommend?

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

I know people like better, and this one is not really maintained anymore, but gooi is just easy to use and customize for me (plus works with android). I've also heard of slab(which I think also works with android, anything that uses mousepressed/mousereleased should work with android, minus tool tips).
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
AuahDark
Party member

Post by AuahDark »

I recently developed a layouting helper library. It's not full UI library however, but I think it's sufficient for you to build UI for your game based on my layouting library.

https://github.com/MikuAuahDark/NPad93#nlay (find nlay.lua)
Profile. Do you encounter crashes in LÖVE Android and wanna send me logcats? Please hit me up in LÖVE Discord and send the full logcat file!
monolifed
Party member

Post by monolifed »

https://github.com/tavuntu/urutora
Easy to learn and use.
Unfortunately it doesn't support multitouch, I don't know any gui library that does.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

monolifed wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:24 am https://github.com/tavuntu/urutora
Easy to learn and use.
Unfortunately it doesn't support multitouch, I don't know any gui library that does.
Yeah, that's from the same person that made gooi if I'm correct. It's the one he's supporting over gooi. I wonder which is better, I've been hesitating to try it
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Thank you for all the recommendations, really appreciate it!

NPad seems very useful in case I wan to make my own UI lib, it is something I do consider in case nothing is really works for me, but for now it is the very last option I consider. As I am a complete beginner it could take me months to implement everything. For now I am looking for something that I can just add to my project and get results within few hours or less :P

GOOi indeed looks very simple and light weight and also do mention multitouch support, It is very unfortunate to be no longer maintained. Wondering how Urutora is an improvement over GOOi or what was the cause that made the developer to start a new UI lib from scratch instead of continue maintaining GOOi. Is there any info about that maybe?

Slab has a robust selection of components and features, seems very capable to support even complex UI. It is also responsive that we can scale, drag and move around. I think it should also work on mobile. Got me very interested.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Slab is my choice. Well documented and easy to learn.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

togFox wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 am Slab is my choice. Well documented and easy to learn.
I agree to that, it is the best GUI I've seen for Love. For what I've tested and seen everything in Slab is inside windows that can be move or not depending on attributes so I think it's more oriented to desktop, but if you want to make buttons for android the other two libraries recommended above look interesting as it seems the buttons are in the canvas without windows but I didn't tested them.
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

ddabrahim wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:10 am Thank you for all the recommendations, really appreciate it!

NPad seems very useful in case I wan to make my own UI lib, it is something I do consider in case nothing is really works for me, but for now it is the very last option I consider. As I am a complete beginner it could take me months to implement everything. For now I am looking for something that I can just add to my project and get results within few hours or less :P

GOOi indeed looks very simple and light weight and also do mention multitouch support, It is very unfortunate to be no longer maintained. Wondering how Urutora is an improvement over GOOi or what was the cause that made the developer to start a new UI lib from scratch instead of continue maintaining GOOi. Is there any info about that maybe?

Slab has a robust selection of components and features, seems very capable to support even complex UI. It is also responsive that we can scale, drag and move around. I think it should also work on mobile. Got me very interested.
Better late than never I guess. You're correct, urutora is still not the best choice, I haven't had much time to add features and, to be honest, I forgot about it for a while. I'm starting to add some stuff tho, please check this out. (multituoch is still pending)