Happy holidays and thank you

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Happy holidays and thank you

Post by togFox »

As Christmas geographically comes to me before most of you let me be the one that starts 'that' thread:

Hope you all find a way to have a happy holiday and find a way to recharge yourself. My thanks go too the whole community for being here (and on Discord) all year and being helpful to myself and other noobs. My LOVE journey is less than a year old and I've achieved so much yet hope to achieve so much more.

Hope we can all continue to help each other with next year's adventures.

Happy holidays!
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Happy holidays and thank you

Post by GVovkiv »

Well, good for you
I myself don't have any willing to do anything and, probably, even depressed, haha

Happy holidays?
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

GVovkiv wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:50 pm Well, good for you
I myself don't have any willing to do anything and, probably, even depressed, haha

Happy holidays?
Don't be depressed. To me the holidays just meant I had to do more work (not joking, seriously) but it's still all good :awesome:. Plus hungry children and illness and whatnot. Wherever you find yourself in a line there's always people behind you and people ahead of you ... unless you ... are really last or reached the front...so most times it applies :?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:04 pm Don't be depressed.
It's more about situation in world, personal problems and so on, so, uh
it makes kinda hard to not be depressed
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Oh, general depression.Okay. If the world itself is in depression then why not
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

The world's definitely in a rough spot right now, but I have faith that things will improve eventually. We just gotta hold onto that hope and find the good that were can get it these days.

And indeed, on a positive note: I managed to find an old HDD and get it running again last night. On it was a ton of old stuff that I thought I'd lost forever, including the code and assets for my first ever attempt at a love2d game! It's nearly 10 years old at this point, I might try to restore it and put it up sometime soon.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

Hugues Ross wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:21 pm The world's definitely in a rough spot right now, but I have faith that things will improve eventually. We just gotta hold onto that hope and find the good that were can get it these days.

And indeed, on a positive note: I managed to find an old HDD and get it running again last night. On it was a ton of old stuff that I thought I'd lost forever, including the code and assets for my first ever attempt at a love2d game! It's nearly 10 years old at this point, I might try to restore it and put it up sometime soon.
good for you
post it here, if you will manage to restore it
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I also hope everyone have/had happy holidays!

Depression I think is something everyone has especially around this time when we are supposed to spend time with people we love and we can trust and evaluate how we did it this year and what we have achieved and what we want to achieve next year.
The best advice I have received and I can give to people with depression is try to live in the moment as much as you can and learn to appreciate the little things.

For example, I am dumb, when I was a kid my teachers did want to send me to special school for kids with learning difficulties because I was behind everyone in the class by lightyears, my parents did not agree and I was grown up being laughed at and be the last to cross the finish line at all times. In school when I told I want to be a programmer, nobody supported me everyone told me I never be able to because I am not smart enough but I tried anyway and I failed the entrance exam to all IT schools.
Yet here I am, pissing against the wind and programming apps, games, single board computers and robots. It is only takes me longer than smart, talented people.
I used to get depressed over the past, why I did not get a chance to study programming and IT when I was 14 just because I failed some stupid IQ test and I was average in math and slow thinking. I got depressed about the present because I am not where I want to be and got depressed about the future because most likely I never be able to get to where I want to because I always be 10 steps behind everyone and I also had the usual problems with the world, family, money...

But I learned not to focus too much on this, accept reality, move on and try to appreciate the moment, the fact despite all odds, here I am doing what everybody told me I never be able to even if it takes mo longer. I appreciate the existence of all the technologies and information exist that allow me to do what I love to do and I try not to think too much about negative people, the past and the future and "what if". I stay in the moment and appreciate what I have and try not to think about what I don't have. This is the best advice I have ever received.
Even if it takes me forever to get to where I want to be, I be the last person to laugh and when the time comes I'll go to my grave with a smile on my face showing the middle finger on both of my hands to everyone who did not support me and did not believed in me and I just appreciate the fact I have both hands and all fingers on my hands to do just that. :awesome:
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

ddabrahim wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:47 am ... I used to get depressed over the past, why I did not get a chance to study programming and IT when I was 14 just because I failed some stupid IQ test and I was average in math and slow thinking...
I never would have guessed that about you - you've always appeared intelligent and well-spoken (well-written?) to me, and my IQ is definitely above average.

Also, I had an awesome teacher who always used to say that any academic test measures nothing more than your test-taking ability, which often does not correlate to your actual knowledge & abilities. I think you've got the right attitude here. It doesn't matter if it takes you longer - you're probably more determined than anyone else around you and that's worth far more than mere intelligence. (Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.