LÖVE 11.4 - out now!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
milon
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.4 - out now!

Post by milon »

GVovkiv wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am Yeah, mint/ubuntu/debian repos often have outdated and/or broken packages, especially for smaller and less popular packages, such as love, so, for future, on ubuntu based systems, it's better to use repo https://launchpad.net/~bartbes/+archive ... ove-stable, then system provided...
Agreed. One of the first things I do on a new Linux Mint system:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable
sudo apt update && apt upgrade
sudo apt install love geany
(Although apt-key is recently deprecated and I haven't yet looked into the "correct" way to add a new ppa.)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

milon wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am Yeah, mint/ubuntu/debian repos often have outdated and/or broken packages, especially for smaller and less popular packages, such as love, so, for future, on ubuntu based systems, it's better to use repo https://launchpad.net/~bartbes/+archive ... ove-stable, then system provided...
Agreed. One of the first things I do on a new Linux Mint system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bartbes/love-stable
sudo apt update && apt upgrade
sudo apt install love geany
(Although apt-key is recently deprecated and I haven't yet looked into the "correct" way to add a new ppa.)
I didn't used apt based distro in while, but it seems that you need to:
1. update system with "sudo apt update"
2. "sudo apt install software-properties-common" to install some components...
3. update again "sudo apt update"
4. install needed repos, for example, wine "sudo apt-add-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main’"
I'm not sure why this happens at all, but, yeah...

(INSTALL FEDORA, YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEMS THERE!! WE EVEN HAVE PROPER "love" PACKAGE THAT WE INSTALL WITH "sudo dnf install love" WITHOUT REPOS AND OTHER BLACK MAGIC) /s
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:46 pm I didn't used apt based distro in while, but it seems that you need to:
4. install needed repos, for example, wine "sudo apt-add-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main’"
The process I listed works just fine (except for the apt-key warning of course).

The "sudo apt update" refreshes your local cache of all software available in known repos. Generally a good idea to do before installing/upgrading.

There's no other dependencies needed, nor is wine needed for love on Linux. What crazy method were you looking at?? You also forgot that you must use "sudo apt install love" after adding the PPA or else you won't actually have it. ;)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

milon wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:49 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:46 pm I didn't used apt based distro in while, but it seems that you need to:
The process I listed works just fine (except for the apt-key warning of course).

The "sudo apt update" refreshes your local cache of all software available in known repos. Generally a good idea to do before installing/upgrading.

There's no other dependencies needed, nor is wine needed for love on Linux. What crazy method were you looking at?? You also forgot that you must use "sudo apt install love" after adding the PPA or else you won't actually have it. ;)
yes, but i was talking about problems with "apt-add-repository". I remember having that kinda of problems with that, so...
yeah, that's how i fixed it (in past).
And, yes, in my "old day" it was better expirience to use provided by wine repo with wine, instead of ubuntu one, because it was outdated. (anyway, i used wine as example).
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Any news on a fixed version for M1 Macs? The memory issues are still present. It's weird that it isn't predictable. Sometimes I'll run with no issues. Others it'll have the issues out of the gate. Others it'll start fine then the issue crops up. Others it disappears or it comes back. It's not predictable at all.

I saw someone on Twitter who was doing something else with LuaJIT (Not Löve related) that had an M1 and the "memory issue" had been fixed with LuaJIT. I don't know if it's the same issue here or if there's a new fixed version of LuaJIT that could be used now. So I was curious. It kinda makes it frustrating sometimes since I have to constantly quit and relaunch in the hopes that the issue wont happen while I test it out.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

There have been no fixes in LuaJIT for the low JIT memory address space issue on arm64. Any real fix would need to be done inside LuaJIT's code.

https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/issues/285

If the issue is causing performance trouble for your app you can either turn JIT compilation off, or make the app run in Rosetta 2 (x64 emulation).
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

slime wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:31 pm If the issue is causing performance trouble for your app you can either turn JIT compilation off, or make the app run in Rosetta 2 (x64 emulation).
Running in Rosetta doesn't seem to solve the issue. I still get the performance problems even then. So I've just been using 11.3, which is Intel anyway and therefore running in Rosetta anyway, and it doesn't have the issues.

I'll just have to live with it until it gets fixed I guess.
Fsenzol
Prole

Post by Fsenzol »

Hello guys, i need help. I keep getting this error below

Error
[love "boot.lua"]:323: @Cannot load game at path .....
Make sure a folder exists at the specified path.

Trackback

[love "callbacks.lua"]:228: in function 'handler'
[C]: in function 'error'
[C]: in function 'xpcall'

I've verified my file directory, reinstalled love, restarted my pc, no avail.
marclurr
Citizen

Post by marclurr »

That error message is given when the directory you asked it to run doesn't exist. For example:

> love noexist
Error: [love "boot.lua"]:323: Cannot load game at path '/path/to/noexist'.
Make sure a folder exists at the specified path.
stack traceback:
	[love "boot.lua"]:345: in function <[love "boot.lua"]:341>
	[C]: in function 'error'
	[love "boot.lua"]:323: in function <[love "boot.lua"]:126>
	[love "boot.lua"]:355: in function <[love "boot.lua"]:348>
Double check the game you're trying to run exists at the path you pass to the love comamnd.
Andlac028
Party member

Post by Andlac028 »

Also make sure to pass path to directory containing main.lua, not path to main.lua file itself