LÖVE 11.4 - out now!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Re: LÖVE 11.4 - out now!

Post by togFox »

awesome!

But - lol - it's been so long since I've installed love I need to know the upgrade path from 11.3?

Do I go to my love folder and copy 11.4 over the top?

Also, no one has said yet, is it backwards compatible? Slime says 'bug fixes' so should I expect any 11.3 projects to keep working (bit better)?

Just asking the questions no one has asked. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

togFox wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:58 pm I need to know the upgrade path from 11.3?
What you should do depends on the OS and how you installed it. If you used the Windows executable installer before (to put love into Program Files), you can just run the 11.4 installer and it'll overwrite the old version, for example.

togFox wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:58 pm Also, no one has said yet, is it backwards compatible? Slime says 'bug fixes' so should I expect any 11.3 projects to keep working (bit better)?
Yes, updates to a major version (e.g. all 11.x releases) are generally meant to stay backwards compatible with code written for older releases of that same major version.
FatJonah
Prole

Post by FatJonah »

e
Always ask the stupid questions first!
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

FatJonah wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:27 ame
That's brilliant
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

I have some questions

- Changed all builds and platforms where LOVE provides LuaJIT to use LuaJIT 2.1 instead of 2.0.

When not to use LuaJIT ? and is it by default on ? Or do I make some logic to turn it off for all platforms (because it will run fast enough).
I know it does some magic to make some things faster, but that it sometimes not work (or for some targets ?)

- Fixed build-time compatibility with Lua 5.4.

Does this means that Love2d is now using Lua 5.4 , or does it mean it still use Lua 5.1 but when you install and use Lua 5.4 and it will work?

SDL2

With what SDL2 version did you test it, or does it need to run with 'all' future releases? The current SDL version is 2.0.18
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

gcmartijn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm I have some questions

- Changed all builds and platforms where LOVE provides LuaJIT to use LuaJIT 2.1 instead of 2.0.

When not to use LuaJIT ? and is it by default on ? Or do I make some logic to turn it off for all platforms (because it will run fast enough).
I know it does some magic to make some things faster, but that it sometimes not work (or for some targets ?)

Does this means that Love2d is now using Lua 5.4 , or does it mean it still use Lua 5.1 but when you install and use Lua 5.4 and it will work?
1 Luajit is what love uses by default (https://luajit.org/)
It's lua interprier such as vanilla lua, provided by PUC-RIO, but made by Make Paul and it famous for it JIT compile features, which allow it to be pretty fast, which is kinda essential for games
Overall, if you don't have reasons, then there is no reasons to turn off jit compiler
If some platform, which have luajit, but doesn't allow jit compilation (such as ios?) then it will not work anyway, so there is no reasons to turn it off
you can simply turn off/on jit compiler features with jit.on() and jit.off()

2 that means, that if you need build love with different lua interprier, for example, with vanilla lua 5.4, then you can do that now
that means that you need get love's source and build it with different interprier
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

Oke, thanks for the info.
I'm not at the building part at the moment, but maybe I will use jit.off() inside main.lua for now, because I want to support ios in the future.
I don't want less problems in the future, and keep everything the same as possible (for each platform).

Then I know a little better that: "the game is fast with jit.off() and works oke, than it will run without problems on ios".
Maybe not 100% correct, because the ios device have maybe 100 times faster hardware, then the laptop i'm using now...
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

gcmartijn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:35 pm Oke, thanks for the info.
I'm not at the building part at the moment, but maybe I will use jit.off() inside main.lua for now, because I want to support ios in the future.
I don't want less problems in the future, and keep everything the same as possible (for each platform).

Then I know a little better that: "the game is fast with jit.off() and works oke, than it will run without problems on ios".
Maybe not 100% correct, because the ios device have maybe 100 times faster hardware, then the laptop i'm using now...
As far i know, on ios, jit will not work because Apple says so, for, probably, security reasons
So it will be disabled by default and turning it on, will do nothing(?)
there no reasons to turn it off for all platforms, only because *os_name_without_jit* may not support it
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

gcmartijn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm 1.

When not to use LuaJIT ? and is it by default on ?
LuaJIT is used with all platforms love officially supports. If you use love.js, it can't use LuaJIT there so it uses stock Lua 5.1.

LuaJIT's interpreter is already a lot faster than stock Lua, and its JIT compiler is many times faster than its interpreter. The JIT compiler is turned off in iOS builds (because Apple doesn't allow it) as well as Android builds (because it has some issues there - eg the arm64 problem I posted earlier). JIT compilation is enabled by default on desktop platforms. Your code should produce the same result regardless of whether JIT compilation is enabled, it mostly just affects performance.
gcmartijn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm 2.

Neither. love uses LuaJIT (which is based on Lua 5.1). The fix was to allow people to rebuild love's source code with Lua 5.4 if they choose (Lua 5.4 doesn't work as a drop-in replacement for something that was compiled to use Lua 5.1 or LuaJIT, so you'd need to recompile love).
gcmartijn wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:49 pm With what SDL2 version did you test it, or does it need to run with 'all' future releases? The current SDL version is 2.0.18
I'm not positive I understand the question, but in cases where SDL2 is shipped with love (Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux AppImage, i.e. everywhere except Linux package managers), love 11.4 provides SDL 2.0.18. I believe love will run with much older SDL2 versions but it's not recommended because you'd be missing out on important fixes.
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

Thanks, for the answers.
Yes you did understand the SDL2 question ;)