Platformer Collaboration. I'm a noob, so noobs are welcome.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Platformer Collaboration. I'm a noob, so noobs are welcome.

Post by BrotSagtMist »

What the actual fuck?
obey
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:35 pm What the actual fuck?
This type of thing is always funny to watch. I honestly don't ....like what the ...?? :?
PixelHero wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 pm
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:15 am Maybe try sheep polution text tutorials?
Huh? I did a search for that on Google just now, and I can't find anything by that name.
I spelt pullution pollution incorrectly, silly me.
https://sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents
...wait.
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Thu May 12, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
PixelHero
Prole

Post by PixelHero »

OK. Thanks! I NEED MORE HELP!!! I am using physics from windfield https://github.com/a327ex/windfield, but that's just a wrapper for the physics module, which is a wrapper for Box2d. As you will notice, the ground is VERTICLE!!!! GRAVITY IS HORISONTAL!!!! Don't worry, I planned that. Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
PS: I am placing the code in a GitHub repository. The link is here: https://github.com/PixelHeroFromLove2d/Collab-1
Attachments
WIP.love
Vertical Platformer
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Dragons are great.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Why do you use all caps so much? IT COMES ACROSS AS HOSTILE when you do that. (I'm not meaning to be hostile - just trying to demonstrate the effect that has.)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
PixelHero
Prole

Post by PixelHero »

milon wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:43 pm Why do you use all caps so much? IT COMES ACROSS AS HOSTILE when you do that.
Thanks! Could you give some platformer help? Also, I would love to make you a profile picture. Anything you like! :ultrahappy: :ultraglee: :awesome:
Dragons are great.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Your WIP.love looks decent enough - WASD to move/jump, wall/ground collisions seem to be working. You can currently jump repeatedly whether or not you're on the ground (bug or feature? lol) and the level doesn't scroll with the player cube. Those might be the next things to look into.

And thanks for the avatar offer, but I'll pass on it. I have an avatar stashed away on another PC, and I've just never bothered to pull it out and upload it. Maybe I'll do that someday. ;)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
PixelHero
Prole

Post by PixelHero »

milon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 pm Your WIP.love looks decent enough - WASD to move/jump, wall/ground collisions seem to be working. You can currently jump repeatedly whether or not you're on the ground (bug or feature? lol) and the level doesn't scroll with the player cube. Those might be the next things to look into.
I just don't know how to make it check for ground, or else I would put a triple-jump limit. I am using the love.physics module, but with the Windfield lib to make things easier. Wanna check out my GitHub repo to help more?
And thanks for the avatar offer, but I'll pass on it. I have an avatar stashed away on another PC, and I've just never bothered to pull it out and upload it. Maybe I'll do that someday. ;)
Oh... :o: Can I make you anything else? :D
Dragons are great.
PixelHero
Prole

Post by PixelHero »

PixelHero wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:41 am PS: I am placing the code in a GitHub repository. The link is here: https://github.com/PixelHeroFromLove2d/Collab-1
Why has nobody checked this out?
Dragons are great.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

PixelHero wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:42 am
milon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 pm Your WIP.love looks decent enough - WASD to move/jump, wall/ground collisions seem to be working. You can currently jump repeatedly whether or not you're on the ground (bug or feature? lol) and the level doesn't scroll with the player cube. Those might be the next things to look into.
I just don't know how to make it check for ground, or else I would put a triple-jump limit. I am using the love.physics module, but with the Windfield lib to make things easier. Wanna check out my GitHub repo to help more?
Checking for ground (since you're using a physics library) is essentially doing a collision check between the player and any (nearby) objects. Standing on the ground is just a special-case collision where the ground is under the player. To implement triple jump, use a jump counter that resets to 0 when the player lands on the ground. Jumping is only allowed if jump counter is less than 3.
PixelHero wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:42 am
Oh... :o: Can I make you anything else? :D
Sure, I'm open to that. :) Feel free to PM me.
PixelHero wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:52 am
PixelHero wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:41 am PS: I am placing the code in a GitHub repository. The link is here: https://github.com/PixelHeroFromLove2d/Collab-1
Why has nobody checked this out?
I can't speak for anyone else, but these are my reasons:
1 - My free time is extremely limited. I work full time, I'm a husband, I'm a father, and I own a nearly 100 year old house that needs a lot of upkeep. It's therefore difficult for me to get meaningfully involved in any additional projects. (I actually do most of my coding & forum posting during any downtime at work, lol!)
2 - External libraries are kind of a turn off for me personally. Yes, I'm weird that way, lol! I typically don't understand the code or I dislike the implementation. As a result, I'm really uncomfortable relying on them as a result. I might look at them to learn something, but it's much more efficient for me to write my own code.
3 - I looked at the posted .love file and assumed the git was basically the same - there's been no real activity since the .love was posted.
PixelHero
Prole

Post by PixelHero »

milon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm I looked at the posted .love file and assumed the git was basically the same - there's been no real activity since the .love was posted.
There has been plenty of activity, and there would be more, if people were more willing and able to help. Here's the new .love:
Attachments
.love
Has 3 songs
(9.56 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
Dragons are great.