Does SNESAPU.DLL and libgme.dll work in LOVE2D

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Neito
Prole

Does SNESAPU.DLL and libgme.dll work in LOVE2D

Post by Neito »

I'm working on something and I need to know if I can use snesapu.dll and libgme.dll in LOVE2D.
zorg
Party member

Re: Does SNESAPU.DLL and libgme.dll work in LOVE2D

Post by zorg »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

GME was never really supported by löve, by default; and as far as i know, due to recent changes that feature set has been completely removed, even as an option. That said, libgme does seem to have a C interface, so you can try to use it by loading it and figuring out how to get it to work.

From a few quick google searches, i do believe snesapu is a C++ library; i'm not sure that would work with löve without you rebuilding löve itself after adding it to the source... although if you find a C version of it (or if you can write a c wrapper/interface for it) then you might have a chance to use it.

In short, not without some work on your end.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

zorg wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:17 pm In short, not without some work on your end.
And even then, only on Windows systems, yes? Unless the DLLs are very specifically not OS-dependent.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Neito
Prole

Post by Neito »

milon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:36 pm
zorg wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:17 pm In short, not without some work on your end.
And even then, only on Windows systems, yes? Unless the DLLs are very specifically not OS-dependent.
I don't know how to do any of that
Neito
Prole

Post by Neito »

Can you help me with implementing libgme into my game?
Neito
Prole

Post by Neito »

When I open the .dll in notepad++ I can't edit anything
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

You do not really edit a .DLL file, as it's compiled from some source code (which is why you get garbled mess in notepad). I'm not familiar with SNESAPU or libgme, but you basically would have to grab their source code, do your changes, and then compile those to get new .DLLs with your desired changes. And mind you, like zorg said, if SNESAPU is a C++ library, you'd likely have to edit LÖVE's own source code to make SNESAPU work with it.

If you don't know where to start with either of these, or are not familiar with C++, or working with C interfaces in general, then perhaps this is unfortunately a task out of your league.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

What actually are these libs for?
obey
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:12 pm What actually are these libs for?
Playing back various types of "music" files; snesapu plays back Super Nintendo Entertainment System spc dumps i believe, GME is blarrg's library that can play back a variety of formats for a variety of systems with a simple interface, or so was said:
AY ZX Spectrum/Amstrad CPC
GBS Nintendo Game Boy
GYM Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
HES NEC TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
KSS MSX Home Computer/other Z80 systems (doesn't support FM sound)
NSF/NSFE Nintendo NES/Famicom (with VRC 6, Namco 106, and FME-7 sound)
SAP Atari systems using POKEY sound chip
SPC Super Nintendo/Super Famicom
VGM/VGZ Sega Master System/Mark III, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive,BBC Micro
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

milon wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:36 pm
I think both libraries should be platform independent; the original question did concern only ".dll"-s, but whether one builds for other targets or downloads pre-compiled binaries, both options should work on whatever OS you want to use them on.