What UI library should I use?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Konjointed
Prole

What UI library should I use?

Post by Konjointed »

I'm trying to find a UI library to help me make menus for a simple project I've had a look at the community github and I've tried a few so far such as gooi, urutora, helium, slab, and inky (someone recommended), but besides from inky I couldn't get them to work which is obviously my fault, but they're just a tad bit confusing haha. Out of the ones I tried, I wanna say I like urutora the most, but yeah it was a bit trying to set it up. Anyways I'm curious which ones I should look at that are the easiest/beginner friendly if any.
Andlac028
Party member

Re: What UI library should I use?

Post by Andlac028 »

I can’t recommend one, as I haven’t used used one for a while, but take a look at awesome-love2d list. There are many libraried and tools for different purposes.
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

By menus you mean, like a main menu screen with "Play", "Settings", "Load" etc?
Have you considered rolling out your own? If you think about it, as long as you have all the assets (these kind of sprites for the controls etc), the rest is you using a few simple state machines to control what menu item is focused, how the screen is animating etc.
tourgen
Citizen

Post by tourgen »

you could look at imgui and nuklear. they're both good.

if you just want a list of buttons to click or select from you could draw some rectangles and check moue coordinates on left-mouse release in the appropriate callback function.