What software/methods do you use to edit/run your code?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: What software/methods do you use to edit/run your code?

Post by bartbes »

I set it up once, but forgot about it, saves me a lot of work, thanks Tenoch.
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Glad I could help :)
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

I use Notepad++ and using some of the inbuilt functions you can start any game you work on by pressing CTRL+R or any other combination you like (I like CTRL+R)

To set this up just open Notepad++ and hit F5 then type in `"C:\Program Files (x86)\LOVE\love.exe" "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"`
Minus, of course, the ` from the start and beginning. Now mine is being run from the 32bit program files directory as I use Win7 64bit, so just edit the love path to point to your copies install folder.
Then click save and choose a shortcut key combo for it, name it and your done!
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

I use gvim and the command line on my Linux box. Actually I can use the command line from gvim itself by just saying :! <shell command>, so to test-run my code, I just write :! love . and so on. Though sometimes a console is nice for debug printing, which is why I might keep one of them open too.

Gvim has nice syntax highlighting for Lua pretty much out of the box. I like how it colors the reserved word 'end' differently depending on whether it ends a block or a function. That taught me quickly to close my fors and ifs in the proper Lua way (ahem, I might have used Python once or twice, cough).

Well, I've heard modal editors are not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll leave extolling the many virtues of my favorite editor for now :)
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]notepad++ run shortcut

Post by rhezalouis »

schme16 wrote:I use Notepad++ ...
... To set this up just open Notepad++ and hit F5 then type in `"C:\Program Files (x86)\LOVE\love.exe" "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"`
@schme16: i am using notepad++, too. v4.2.2. i have tried

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\LOVE0.5.0\love.exe" "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"
and

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\LOVE0.5.0\love.exe $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)
in the run box, but nothing happened. do you have an idea what might have caused that? :)
Last edited by rhezalouis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Only you can know this, because it depends on the setup of your system and what you've done. Are you sure love.exe is really in that folder? (Also, 0.6.0 is out. You can upgrade now ;))
Help us help you: attach a .love.
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

@rhezalouis: Not sure, you've definitely checked that that's the location on your love.exe install?

If the directory of love is correct it should always start it, whether the current_directory parameter is working on not it should always start love.
"C:\Program Files\LOVE0.5.0\love.exe" "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"
that should be the correct one so long as:
"C:\Program Files\LOVE0.5.0\love.exe"
is actually where love.exe is

Also, still having trouble getting to the Love Club? or was that temporary?
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info
rhezalouis
Party member

[RLC]notepad++ run shortcut

Post by rhezalouis »

schme16 wrote:@rhezalouis: Not sure, you've definitely checked that that's the location on your love.exe install? If the directory of love is correct it should always start it, whether the current_directory parameter is working on not it should always start love.
yes, that is the correct address of the LÖVE executable. i have tried the address in cmd and it's working, it opens the executable. but in the notepad++, nothing happens. :surprise:
Robin wrote:Only you can know this, because it depends on the setup of your system and what you've done. Are you sure love.exe is really in that folder? (Also, 0.6.0 is out. You can upgrade now )
i have installed the 0.6.0 [i could execute the LBP programme, remember? :megagrin:]; but, because i still have a project on saltednuts, i copy the 0.6.0 folder and revert back to the LÖVE 0.5.0. would that the source of this strange situation? all the programmes [both 0.5.0 and 0.6.0] on my computer are working properly, actually.
schme16 wrote: Also, still having trouble getting to the Love Club? or was that temporary?
have you got the address [#loveclub@irc.freenode.net] right? :)
Aargh, I am wasting my posts! My citizenshiiiip... :o
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: [RLC]notepad++ run shortcut

Post by Robin »

rhezalouis wrote:i have installed the 0.6.0 [i could execute the LBP programme, remember? :megagrin:]; but, because i still have a project on saltednuts, i copy the 0.6.0 folder and revert back to the LÖVE 0.5.0. would that the source of this strange situation? all the programmes [both 0.5.0 and 0.6.0] on my computer are working properly, actually.
I still have no idea what you have done.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Rishavs
Party member

Post by Rishavs »

pekka wrote:I use gvim and the command line on my Linux box. Actually I can use the command line from gvim itself by just saying :! <shell command>, so to test-run my code, I just write :! love . and so on. Though sometimes a console is nice for debug printing, which is why I might keep one of them open too.

Gvim has nice syntax highlighting for Lua pretty much out of the box. I like how it colors the reserved word 'end' differently depending on whether it ends a block or a function. That taught me quickly to close my fors and ifs in the proper Lua way (ahem, I might have used Python once or twice, cough).

Well, I've heard modal editors are not everyone's cup of tea, so I'll leave extolling the many virtues of my favorite editor for now :)
Thanks. works wonders for me. now i can use NPP