Some Questions

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
master both
Party member

Some Questions

Post by master both »

Hi, i have some questions that i can get the answers anywhere, so i will post them here:
1) what is the point of the love.graphics.setScissor() function? What can you do with it?
2) Is the SpriteBatch really needed for making a tiled game, or it is just for comodity?
3) Im really new in developing games, and this is the first time i try to make some games, so i already made a simple Snake game, what can be the next step? Maybe a tiled game or is it to complicated to make?

Im new at coding and im really looking forward to it, and this community is the best i have seen, thanks for all the support :awesome:

Sorry for my bad english
Kadoba
Party member

Re: Some Questions

Post by Kadoba »

1. Like the wiki says, it limits drawing to a specific boxed area. Anything that is drawn outside of the box won't show up.
2. Spritebatches will dramatically improve the speed of tile rendering but you can get by without them if your tile maps are small.
3. It depends on what you mean by that. Snake is essentially a tiled game. I would try a tetris or breakout clone.

And welcome to the community. :)
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

My goal is to make legend of zelda (nes) on love2d, so what could be the next step to learn to achive this goal? Keeping in mind im new to this and that i know it will take a very long time.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

If you're looking into spritebatches you might want to play around with them so you can use them to build a tile-based map. It should be pretty easy since Zelda has fixed map sizes and almost no scrolling.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.