Lucasfilm Games?!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
adurnat
Prole

Lucasfilm Games?!

Post by adurnat »

Hello all,
i was wondering if it's hard to develop old style lucasfilm games (like monkey island first 2 chapters, day of the tentacle...)
Are there in "projects and demos" someone who did something similiar? Or at least an adventure game (even a text only one!),can't find any
Thanks in advance
mode7
Prole

Re: Lucasfilm Games?!

Post by mode7 »

Why making you life unnecessarily hard? There are plenty of free adventure games engines out there. Like AGS http://www.adventuregamesstudio.co.uk which will do exactly what you are looking for.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

mode7 wrote:Why making you life unnecessarily hard? There are plenty of free adventure games engines out there. Like AGS http://www.adventuregamesstudio.co.uk which will do exactly what you are looking for.
Fixed link: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk
adurnat
Prole

Post by adurnat »

Thanks for the answer Roland,
im coming from AGS, i have been using it since long time.
I looked at Love2d just because its freedom, i just wanted to know if things like adventure are doable or requires a tons of time.
Sorry for my questions, im a total noob
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

adurnat wrote:Thanks for the answer Roland
Well, that's not really my answer, but Mode7's.
I just fixed the broken link.
adurnat wrote: im coming from AGS, i have been using it since long time.
I looked at Love2d just because its freedom, i just wanted to know if things like adventure are doable or requires a tons of time.
Sorry for my questions, im a total noob
Personnally, I haven't used AGS, so I don't how far games done with this engine can be polished.
But Löve have high capabilities. Lots of great things can be accomplished with, just take a look at the Projects and Demos section,
the Love Games list , and these long-term projects : Plazma Being,Physics Arena-shooter, Snayke, and a lot more that I can't remember (sorry).

Side Note: Love makes 2D games. 3D is not supported. Yet.

It also implies that the nicer you want your game to be, the longer it will take to realize it, obviously.
I can't tell in advance how long, though.

Maybe if you can describe a little bit more what specific features you want to have in your project, we'll hopefully have more specific answers.

Hope you'll come make Löve with us.
mode7
Prole

Post by mode7 »

I'm coming from AGS too, after I pushed the engine to the limits and saw that I need more performance.
If you come from AGS, I can tell you about my experience of the last few months. I really love LÖVE but it's a framework not an engine. So you'll end up with a a lot of coding very basic stuff, AGS had already built in e.g. a GUI. It's fun and lua is great but don't expect to hit a play button and everything will work from the start. Some things like the bitmap based pathfining in Point'n'Click games will be at least hard to do in LÖVE
There are plenty of other Adventure Game Engines out there. Maybe they will be a better choice, if your intention is to just make a game.