Lovely Mario project needs contributors

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Lovely Mario project needs contributors

Post by Deecodeuh »

Hi, due to my recent time constraint, I now have very little / no time to continue work on my lovely mario bros. project, and am probably suspending work on it for maybe even months.
I would really like someone to join this project, multiple people if possible. We could really create a great game engine here if enough support is acquired.
If anyone has any artistic abilities in pixel art, new sprites for this project could be in order as well. I'm also looking to use non-proprietary sprites.
So please! Volunteer! I believe I've got a good thing rolling here, and I don't want to stop it..
If you volunteer, I'll be happy to give you a full rundown of how the engine works, and we could work together on improving it, and creating levels, etc.
Any contribution is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Artistry:
partymetroid

programming
We need programmers

Here is a link to the project thread:
http://love2d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1466
Last edited by Deecodeuh on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partymetroid
Citizen

Re: Lovely Mario project needs contributors

Post by partymetroid »

This project sounds awesome! :D I would like to work on game graphics...

... though to be honest, I don't have much experience with digital artwork :oops:...

... however, I very much want to learn to. :nyu:

Here is my DeviantArt account. Please also browse through my scrapbook, as I've uploaded some good stuff there to. Notice the realistic drawing of Mario I drew recently (last night when I read your post)... :neko:.

Thanks for your consideration! Besides graphics, I'm OKAY with design, good with writing (would you need some? :monocle:), and am pretty smart with math and stuff!

(If you'd like to contact -- AARON MARSH -- further, please reply in this thread, use his contact information at the right, or please hang up and try your call again. *CLICK*... *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*)

... I think I've stayed up to late. :ehem:
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

I'd love to help with artwork, but sadly I'm kind of tied up right now with university, mine and bartbes' game, plus my own game project, so I'm afraid I really don't have enough time at the moment. It's too bad, because I've really enjoyed making pixel art in the past, and I love the blocky old school style - even if it's not at a pixel art level.
partymetroid wrote:This project sounds awesome! :D I would like to work on game graphics...

... though to be honest, I don't have much experience with digital artwork :oops:...

... however, I very much want to learn to. :nyu:
I checked out your deviantart page, and from what I can see your current work doesn't really translate to digital art. Things like anatomy, shading and things are of course applicable (well, maybe not anatomy...), but the technology and the creative process is quite different from working with pen and paper. But it's of course great that you're interested in learning. If you want to get started with 2D game graphics you really just have to pick whether to work in vectors or with rasters, and you're on your way. There are great writeups on the differences between the two, so I won't bore you with that. You can of course do both, but I'd recommend getting started with one of them.
Last edited by nevon on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

nevon wrote:I checked out your deviantart page, and from what I can see your current work doesn't really translate to digital art. Things like anatomy, shading and things are of course applicable (well, maybe not anatomy...), but there technology and the creative process is quite different from working with pen and paper. But it's of course great that you're interested in learning. If you want to get started with 2D game graphics you really just have to pick whether to work in vectors or with rasters, and you're on your way. There are great writeups on the differences between the two, so I won't bore you with that. You can of course do both, but I'd recommend getting started with one of them.
Yes, I very much see your point. I'll start on raster graphics and post an update after working on some digital painting today...

[edit] BTW, I DO have a tablet, so don't worry about me scrambling around with a mouse. ^^
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

partymetroid, ah, good, a real artist. :) Awesome.
I'm glad I got some interest in the artist section, that's the one part I can't do. Hence, I ripped the sprites off of nintendo. Which I don't really want to do.
Could you come up with some concept art?
It doesn't even have to be mario, it could be any character you think would be good to play as, preferably one that you make up. (Making an original series would be cool. ;) )
Also draw some enemies, backdrops, trees, etc. Use your imagination. (Tropical island setting fighting off gazelles! Anything!)
I like your art, it has a unique twist to it, and I enjoy it.
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

Also, remember that most of the sprites are going to only be 32x32 pixels. So try to keep the sprite sizes around there.
I really like your humility. I'm a humble programmer myself, that works on humble projects. ^^
And yes, I could definitely use help on code. I'd really appreciate that.
If you would like to join me in programming, I could tell you how the engine works, how it should work, and what the plans are for it.
What you're looking at now was done in just under 2 weeks. But now that the core-engine is becoming more solid, production should increase...
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I've spent a substantial part of last night and this morning trying to learn how to paint digitally, and it's paying off quite a bit. :D

For concept art I think I'm going to be using Alchemy, the GIMP, and MyPaint.

For making sprites I'll probably use the GIMP as I'm very comfortable with it. :D

[edit] BTW, get contact me via instant message sometime so we can exchange ideas really rapidly. :)
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Deecodeuh and I decided that the first level would take place at a beach, preferably at sunset or sunrise. Therefore, I've been practicing drawing sunrises/sunsets using the GIMP. So far so good. :neko:
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

I'd still like to follow the mario cliche, but not necessarily mario, and there will be a lot of new material to deepen the plot, and make playing it much more interesting...
Change of scenery, change of interaction with the environment, music, story line, characters, etc..
I would still very much like volunteers, any programmers would be greatly appreciated.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

I was thinking about having for the beginning the two characters, the boyfriend and girlfriend, at a beach during sunset, watching the launch of the first faster-than-light ship launched from Earth...

... and then aliens show up and abduct everyone within a certain radius of the launch... ? Kind of like a (maybe) malicious First Contact sort of thing?

Yes? No?