This WAV file segfaults Löve

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pekka
Party member

This WAV file segfaults Löve

Post by pekka »

Trying to load the attached WAV file segfaults Löve 0.6.2 on my Linux computer. It is possible to play the WAV file with other programs. The following program demonstrates the problem on my computer. How about yours?

Code: Select all

snd = love.audio.newSource("potion.wav", "static")
Disclosure: This file comes from media of a free game called DROD: Architects' Edition, which is downloadable here.

(Attaching WAV files is not allowed by Forum settings, so I put it in a zip.)
Attachments
potion.zip
Inside lurks a WAV file, beware
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: This WAV file segfaults Löve

Post by Jasoco »

Convert to OGG. WAV files are notoriously bloated and uncompressed. OGG files will keep your project much smaller.
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

Yeah, yeah, but: It's still a crashing bug, so I'd like to know if it happens to others and whether I should add it to the issue tracker. If Löve can't use WAV files properly, it shouldn't even claim to support them, so people would know to use a better format from the get go.

EDIT: I take it a new WAV backend is in the plans, though on hold:

http://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issue/25 ... -lovesound

I won't be reporting this as a new issue.
the_leg
Prole

Post by the_leg »

There was a problem in 0.62 that would cause love to crash if modplug couldn't load the wav (or mod) file. This has been resolved and no longer occurs in the latest software. Note: the resolution is to error out and not crash. Here's a link to the issue report:

http://bitbucket.org/rude/love/issue/60 ... m-wav-file
gooseneck
Prole

Post by gooseneck »

Thanks to this post, I have solved my problem. I too had a random crash (only on some computers), apparently caused by a loaded WAV file. I converted it to OGG and this seems to have solved. I didn't even think to disable the audio system until reading this, so thank you very much.

Using LOVE version 11.1.
The wav file: https://opengameart.org/content/moderat ... -roof-loop
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

gooseneck wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:46 am Thanks to this post, I have solved my problem. I too had a random crash (only on some computers), apparently caused by a loaded WAV file. I converted it to OGG and this seems to have solved. I didn't even think to disable the audio system until reading this, so thank you very much.

Using LOVE version 11.1.
The wav file: https://opengameart.org/content/moderat ... -roof-loop
It would be good to know what the trigger is for the crash; i tested that wav file on the 11.1 (32 and 64 bit) versions on win7 x64 (with all variations of streamed, static and q-sources) and it didn't crash.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I can't reproduce it either in Linux (tested 32 and 64 bits, LÖVE 11.1, streamed and static).

The test program was:

Code: Select all

local snd = love.audio.newSource('rain loop.wav', 'static')
snd:setLooping(true)
snd:play()
(or replacing 'static' with 'stream').

The WAV file seems well formed, I don't see anything wrong with it. All fields have correct and pretty standard values.