The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
spynaz
Party member

Re: The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Post by spynaz »

Ok I guess this will be an indie game then.
Pash
Prole

Post by Pash »

I think you mean this was an indie game anyway, unless your under one big umbrella with some corporate clout and you're fooling us all ;)
Sagan Interactive - Looking forward to a creative 2013.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Pash wrote:I think you mean this was an indie game anyway, unless your under one big umbrella with some corporate clout and you're fooling us all ;)
I was planning to have some people help me but nevermind.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

What if I made this game by myself. Would you all be impressed or something?
Automatik
Citizen

Post by Automatik »

Indie game don't mean made by one guy. World of goo is indie. Super meat boy is indie. VVVVVV is indie. And they're all made by two guys.

If you did a MMO alone? Yes, no one (Absolutely NO-ONE) did a MMO alone, it's impossible. Even at 10.
If you want to make this game, then try first to make some smaller games, then, try to do a RPG, post it here, and then, recruit.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

spynaz wrote:What if I made this game by myself. Would you all be impressed or something?
Honestly, I'd be impressed with any kind of MMO being made in Love2D, no matter who made it or how it was done. I'm impressed whenever anyone makes a good, fun game without a publisher's backing, no matter what size the team was.

That you want to make an MMO, but don't even know how to do regular multiplayer, is... Worrying. Biting off more than you can chew, as the expression goes, is the number one cause of failed games around here. If you do want to end up making your MMO some day (and I hope you will!), I strongly recommend trying to make some smaller games first (especially some multiplayer ones). It will be good practice, give you insight into how game dev works, let you get a feel for what is and isn't technically possible, and give you a nice portfolio to show off when recruiting. So instead of saying "Oh, it's another newb wanting to make an impossible MMO", they'll say "Oh, it's the guy who made _____ and _____. Those games rocked! Heck yeah, I want to join his project!".
Last edited by Taehl on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Pash
Prole

Post by Pash »

spynaz wrote:What if I made this game by myself. Would you all be impressed or something?
Honestly, very. Taehl's response is very honest.
Sagan Interactive - Looking forward to a creative 2013.
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

Using Your Game Idea is too Big and selecting the cross platform, multiplayer, and mmo options. I got this:

Estimate: $525,000

It would take an entry-level game developer 10.5 years to create this game.

I can see why you're asking for help, but this is a big project to take up with out any payment.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

How is MMO games so hard to make?
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

spynaz wrote:How is MMO games so hard to make?
Have you ever actually produced an entire game from A to Z? Up to release and beyond?

Making a simple arcade game is harder than you think.

Making an MMO? That's basically every developer's first idea. "I want to be a huge, big, badass game with tons of everything in it!!!". And the sooner you get past this phase, and realize you should start small, the better.