Particle effects editor?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Particle effects editor?

Post by Ensayia »

This thing is fantastic! I didn't use the particle system before because it was a little hard for me to visualize but this is an excellent way to prototype new effects quickly. I might be able to utilize this for my current project.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

this thing is the job!! well done and thanks for letting us use it :ultrahappy:
ismyhc
Prole

Post by ismyhc »

Is there an updated version of this particle editor? Im new to love2d and have tried to get it working with 0.8.0 but with no luck...

Thanks!
Halt_and_Catch_Fire
Prole

Post by Halt_and_Catch_Fire »

ismyhc wrote:Is there an updated version of this particle editor? Im new to love2d and have tried to get it working with 0.8.0 but with no luck...

Thanks!
I went ahead and just fixed the breaking errors. ParticleSystem:setSize is now ParticleSystem:setSizes and ParticleSystem:setColor is now ParticleSystem:setColors. The new functions take in as many params as you want but I just wired them up to only adjust the 2 sets in the original editor. If I find a need for my purposes I might add the ability for to add any number of colors and sizes to this editor.

Enjoy.
Attachments
particleedit_0-8-0.love
fixed particle edit for LOVE 0.8.0
(12.83 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
takeshi_
Prole

Post by takeshi_ »

Hi, everyone! I was searching and testing stuff while learning, because I started last Saturday with this amazing engine, and was trying to learn something about particles (because I really love how particles improve the visual of a 2D game).

I reached this thread but discovered that the last updated version did not work with LÖVE 0.9.0 so I took the liberty, while inspecting the code and hopefully learn something, to update it.

Thanks to Mud (the original author) and Halt_and_Catch_Fire (version 0.8.0) for their work on this.

I did not altered the love.author info.
Attachments
Particle_Edit_0.9.0.love
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
haganyall
Prole

Post by haganyall »

How do you view the code for this to play with it?? it will not open in NotePad ++

Cheers
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

haganyall wrote:How do you view the code for this to play with it?? it will not open in NotePad ++

Cheers
You open the .love file with winrar or another zip program and then you open the files that are inside with any text editing softwere
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
yintercept
Citizen

Post by yintercept »

Made some minor changes to make it compatible and working with love 11.1
Particle_Edit_0.9.1.love
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Thanks again for the fantastic tool. Might be other bugs, but it at least starts now.

- in main.lua, changed line 73 from 'additive' to 'add' to work with love 11
- in main.lua changed line 123 from "mouse.isdown '1'" to "love.mouse.isdown == 1" to work with love 11
Back in the saddle again.