ideas for new game

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ishkabible
Party member

ideas for new game

Post by ishkabible »

im going to be in a place with no internet connection and i need something to do. im taking a shity old laptop with me to do some scripting. i need some ideas for a game i can make over a light days work as over the weekend im only going to have like maybe 8 hours to my self over the whole trip. thanks!!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: ideas for new game

Post by Jasoco »

SHMUP
Puzzle game
RPG
lesslucid
Prole

Post by lesslucid »

I actually had an idea for a "minimalistic RPG" while reading this... you could make it using the "push your luck" mechanism underlying games like "Can't Stop" by Sid Sackson or "Incan Gold" by Moon & Faidutti.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41/cant-stop
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Modul ... ichier=363

...you create a character using some kind of mechanism - some mix of choices and randomness? Just choosing a character "template"? - and then you begin venturing down the dungeon. Each "turn", you clear a level of the dungeon by "fighting" a monster and collecting a reward. Then you decide to either press on - with the risk that you'll be killed by the next, more dangerous monster - or go back, but with the understanding that each of (say) 10 different dungeons can only be visited once, so every time you decide to go back you permanently cut off the possibility of getting anything more from that dungeon. Everything would be automatic except maybe some choices in the character creation, and the choice to push on or go back. This would probably work fine as a text-only game but could be made more attractive with a couple of pictures... hmm.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

You could always finish this.
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

lesslucid wrote:I actually had an idea for a "minimalistic RPG" while reading this... you could make it using the "push your luck" mechanism underlying games like "Can't Stop" by Sid Sackson or "Incan Gold" by Moon & Faidutti.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41/cant-stop
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Modul ... ichier=363

...you create a character using some kind of mechanism - some mix of choices and randomness? Just choosing a character "template"? - and then you begin venturing down the dungeon. Each "turn", you clear a level of the dungeon by "fighting" a monster and collecting a reward. Then you decide to either press on - with the risk that you'll be killed by the next, more dangerous monster - or go back, but with the understanding that each of (say) 10 different dungeons can only be visited once, so every time you decide to go back you permanently cut off the possibility of getting anything more from that dungeon. Everything would be automatic except maybe some choices in the character creation, and the choice to push on or go back. This would probably work fine as a text-only game but could be made more attractive with a couple of pictures... hmm.
Or like http://progressquest.com/ with even less interaction ^o^.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
lesslucid
Prole

Post by lesslucid »

I think less interaction than PQ is a pretty tall order... I think the only way to do that would have it automatically begin every time your computer starts up; that way installing it would be the only interaction you did. :ultrahappy:
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

Sorry, my statement was confusing : I meant "less interaction than what You described", i.e make a PQ-like.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
lesslucid
Prole

Post by lesslucid »

Ah, got it!
sharpobject
Prole

Post by sharpobject »

Shmups all day long. You can probably throw together something about as complex and soul-crushingly difficult as Raiden in a weekend.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

well that sucked, i didn't have time to do anything... i was gonna make an game like asteroids but it didn't work out :(