Strange performance issue

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Strange performance issue

Post by T-Bone »

Hi! I just started with LÖVE yesterday and I löve it so far! However, there is one thing I find strange. On both my desktop computer and my netbook, both running Ubuntu 11.04, LÖVE games seem a bit laggy when you start them in a windowed mode... Until you run them in full screen, then suddenly everything starts running much smoother, and the strange thing is that even if I go back to windowed, it will be running smoothly as long as it has been in full screen at least once. Is this common and/or a known issue?

I use love.timer.getFPS to track FPS but it shows 61 FPS both when it lags and when it doesn't. I find this very strange.

LÖVE was installed simply with sudo apt-get install love, and this "bug" applies to all löve games I've tried.

Not that it's much of an issue, when I make a "serious" I'll just have it start in full screen (which makes sense anyway) and nobody will notice... But it's still wierd.

If you don't want to sit down and write an example of your own to test you can use http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7572962/najs.love in which 'w' and 'a' switches between window and full screen.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Strange performance issue

Post by Robin »

I haven't been able to reproduce this, but what happens if you remove the call to love.graphics.setMode?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:I haven't been able to reproduce this, but what happens if you remove the call to love.graphics.setMode?
Oh, that completely removed the issue! But that is only a partial solution as I don't get to choose the resolution... Nonetheless, good to know.

And also, what's the difference between calling setMode in the beginning of the program and later?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If you use Config Files you can specify the size of the initial window, which is preferred, as it doesn't create 2 windows in rapid succession.
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

Its a vsync problem on ati cards in window mode,if framerate is not fixed it doesn't happen
You can play all games on fullscreen by adding a conf file to the game source and configuring with the ati catalyst control center so as to not stretch the screen when the ratio is not the same as screen.
I haven't manged to resolve the issue in any other way
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.