FSN unix 3D file system in love

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
jjmafiae
Party member

FSN unix 3D file system in love

Post by jjmafiae »

in the film Jurassic park they show a interesting linux file system, after some time i found it

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_System_Navigator

the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

silicon graphics website: http://www.sgi.com/

it was never finished and that made me sad .. :(

i was thinking about re-creating it in LÖVE that could be very awsome :3
with love.filesystem and os.execute :3

and of course a 3D libary
Last edited by jjmafiae on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: FSN unix 3D file system in love

Post by Robin »

Sure, go ahead. What are you waiting for?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Instead of thinking, how about you actually do it?
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Love2d doesn't quite fit as a tool for creating 3D application. You should use different framework for that, like SDL.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

raidho36 wrote:Love2d doesn't quite fit as a tool for creating 3D application. You should use different framework for that, like SDL.
No. Stop right there. First, some context...

(And that's quite a few versions ago)

Anyway, using my methods one could very very very easily recreate that UNIX file explorer thing from Jurassic Park.

But, it'd be a lot of work. My engine has a lot of code and a chunk system for optimizing when and where to draw things. And it's taken me all year so far to get to this point.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Jasoco wrote:
raidho36 wrote:Love2d doesn't quite fit as a tool for creating 3D application. You should use different framework for that, like SDL.
No. Stop right there. First, some context...

(And that's quite a few versions ago)

Anyway, using my methods one could very very very easily recreate that UNIX file explorer thing from Jurassic Park.

But, it'd be a lot of work. My engine has a lot of code and a chunk system for optimizing when and where to draw things. And it's taken me all year so far to get to this point.
A NEW ENGINE??

BTW im going to call the file system butter :3
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

If you wanted to amaze me with emulating 3d via 2d textured primitives that are then internally rendered via OpenGL in plain and straightforward hardware accelerated 3d, with all the 3d transformations pre-computed software with a scripting language, then you should've first though how inadequate the very idea of rendering 3d that way. It's like shitting through your mouth: it's cool that you can do it, but you shouldn't actually use it in practice, you have an asshole for that.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

raidho36 wrote:If you wanted to amaze me with emulating 3d via 2d textured primitives that are then internally rendered via OpenGL in plain and straightforward hardware accelerated 3d, with all the 3d transformations pre-computed software with a scripting language, then you should've first though how inadequate the very idea of rendering 3d that way. It's like shitting through your mouth: it's cool that you can do it, but you shouldn't actually use it in practice, you have an asshole for that.
just something i want to tell you that the mods and admins in the forum donst like swearing and cursing :3
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

They do it themselves as far as I see it, but ok. Anyway, yeah, I acknowledge it's technically possible to re-create somewhat 3d graphics with love2d up until certain extent, but instead you should use specifically designed 3d graphics package (in fact here you're limited to OpenGL, and Windows would also support Direct3D).
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

NightKawata wrote:Instead of thinking, how about you actually do it?
i will when im finished with 3 other projects (that will take 1 or 2 year(s) to do)