CrossBridge (c/c++ to flash) is now open source

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
SiENcE
Party member

CrossBridge (c/c++ to flash) is now open source

Post by SiENcE »

Hey,

I want to post it here, because i saw a post in the crossbridge forum about porting LÖVE to flash.

Website
http://adobe-flash.github.io/crossbridge/

Source of compiler backend
https://github.com/adobe-flash/crossbridge

Win/Mac Binaries of the compiler backend:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/crossbridge/files/

It might be another alternative (beside chrome-nativ client port or love-webplayer) to bring LÖVE to web or mobile devices.

cheers
raidho36
Party member

Re: CrossBridge (c/c++ to flash) is now open source

Post by raidho36 »

I don't know, there's already chrome extension that runs natively and HTML5 port in development, and I honestly wouldn't like my games require Flash.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

raidho36 wrote:I don't know, there's already chrome extension that runs natively and HTML5 port in development, and I honestly wouldn't like my games require Flash.
OTOH, it could run on android devices (for which native chrome extension do not work, yet).
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

miko wrote:
raidho36 wrote:I don't know, there's already chrome extension that runs natively and HTML5 port in development, and I honestly wouldn't like my games require Flash.
OTOH, it could run on android devices (for which native chrome extension do not work, yet).
Actually, Flash on Android isn't a very good option for distribution because you can't even download Flash on Google Play anymore. And it's not in active development either.

There is a native Android port of LÖVE in the works, so I guess that's your best option for now. And it could very well happen in the future that Chrome on Android and other platforms like iOS start to support NaCl.

Edit: Actually, NaCl already runs on ARM, so all we're missing is the possibility of using extensions on the mobile versions of Chrome. And I'm pretty sure that's coming at some point in the future, because it would be totally awesome.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Thats why i wrote this: "It might be another alternative (beside chrome-nativ client port or love-webplayer) to bring LÖVE to web or mobile devices."

The "native Android port of LÖVE" works with lots of issues. Currently only for developers and no option to publish a Game in the Store.

I just wanted to tell...i don't want to discuss the worthiness. Because we can, is always the best answer ;).
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

This could be a great idea! love-webplayer is not stable and the chrome alternative doesn't work with others web browsers, which is a shame.
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

You can still get flash based apps onto android, Adobe air, just not flash player.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

I'll agree with this idea, but it's probably unlikely it'll be an official conversion.
It brings another option to the table of getting love games available, which isn't bad. It would require an extra peripheral, but so does LOVELINESS.

A native android port would be your best bet to getting it onto such devices, but to play the game directly online, this would be a decent idea. (Provided it's not a buggy mess akin to love-webplayer)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Nice! I'd love to see a port working. Anyone interesting in doing it?
The Chrome, HTML5, and Android ports are great projects and are (mostly) progressing, but, unless something has changed recently, none of the three iare really ready for game release (with the exception of very simple games). Also, IIRC at least one of these is still using 0.7 of LOVE, which is missing many important features.
jasonisop wrote:You can still get flash based apps onto android, Adobe air, just not flash player.
This. A LOT of Flash developers are releasing their Flash games & programs as Android (and iOS) apps through the Adobe Air platform. A lot of things in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store that you wouldn't think are Flash, are.
jasonisop
Citizen

Post by jasonisop »

scutheotaku wrote:This. A LOT of Flash developers are releasing their Flash games & programs as Android (and iOS) apps through the Adobe Air platform. A lot of things in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store that you wouldn't think are Flash, are.
And it is super simple to make games in flash that work on android. The only downfall is the size of Air on android itself kinda takes up some space.