Browser Plugin

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rude
Administrator

Re: Browser Plugin

Post by rude »

I will not spend a single second on this EVER, unless I were given <carl>billions upon billions</sagan>.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

qubodup wrote:Who would ever do LOVE for other things than joy? (EDIT: Oh, right. I guess people do it also for money.)

I think I got this link on #freegamer. Basically: Quake. In your browser. Without rewriting. Also: Lua.

Might be 10 years before this becomes significant though.

PS/EDIT2: Would you do it for money, rude? Would you?
Okay, so I can expect my browser to run Linux in 3... 2... 1...

Rude: I'll give you $5.00 and a pack of Marlboro reds.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Skofo
Party member

Post by Skofo »

bartbes wrote:I don't see the big advantage, all it could bring is Flash crappiness. I think all it can do is make LÖVE worse, because people are lazy and still want to hold on to their Flash ways, or possibly something that is even worse.

Basically: I don't think LÖVE is ready yet (and that's not something bad).
Flash crappiness, what? You mean the concept of being able to play games inside a web browser? I honestly don't see the crappiness of that, nor do I see how the only people who want it are lazy. :?

Also, Native Client looks hella interesting. :ultrashocked::

And I don't expect you to make this, rude; you've made your priorities clear many times before. I was just wondering if I could possibly do it...
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Skofo wrote:And I don't expect you to make this, rude; you've made your priorities clear many times before. I was just wondering if I could possibly do it...
Even if you don't port Love itself, something that allows the creation of games with Lua in a browser would be... well that'd just be neat.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

what might be more interesting is to get love packaged in a embedded / tiny linux distro that lets say, runs a keosk at the mall

not really for games, but as a pushbutton menu, information booth application

Its really not that hard for end users to make a graphical menu system in love, just draw it out in paint, blit in position, and define collision zones for buttons, maybe add in a video codec and you have a base for a marketable product
Chris016
Prole

Post by Chris016 »

lol you could probably port Love pretty easily to do all these things.

For Web Browser that would not be much of a difference. Web Browsers wouldnt be as hard as everyone draws. If you wanted to do something really simple you could just use ActiveX for IE browser.

For firefox write a plugin. InstantAction.com already uses that but there using torque and torque has its own plugins lol.

It just shows that it is possiable just have to apply the work.

But most people will love it if there games or programs and be moved over to different platforms with ease.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

i didnt intend to push the issue further (sorry)

my round a bout point was rude and team could find a niche market for commercial use of love, and if they got 6 dumptruck loads of money then we could rehash the discussion
qubodup
Inner party member

´

Post by qubodup »

Xcmd wrote: Even if you don't port Love itself, something that allows the creation of games with Lua in a browser would be... well that'd just be neat.
flua. Age: ~ 9 months
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mLaPL
Prole

Post by mLaPL »

my english is not good :) btw:
=====================================================================================================
meybe better and simple is if any guy use small protocol extesion:

like on this portal - http://www.wowstatus.net/serverlist.php - hyperlink "Connect" from servers table "look adress link" is like "wow://example.com"

User if will play then must "one time download and install LOVE engine" and click link to play.

to this we must:

add to LOVE function to catch url to file.love and download from adres like "love://example.com/game.love" and run with LOVE.

i think, this is not hard idea to make.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

that is a good idea. also something like java webstart for installing löve should be nice.