Working Raycasting example! WolfenLöve 3D if you will...

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Re: Working Raycasting example! WolfenLöve 3D if you will...

Post by MarekkPie »

http://indiegames.com/2012/02/retro_dun ... _dung.html

Probably doesn't use strict raycasting, but the article made me laugh.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Got myself an army ready to follow me anywhere. As long as it doesn't lead them into a corner. Aren't they cute with their sky blue suits, red boots and green eyes? Too bad they never turn around... mainly because they don't have any other angles to show right now.

Gonna have to give them more smarts.

But you will notice proper collision detection. Actors are able to detect each other and not overlap.

They also follow the player around when in "pursue" mode, but I need to write an algorithm to detect when they are stuck in that they can't move forward anymore to get to their target, and cancel "pursue" mode. Right now any ones blocked by a wall, thing or other actor will stay in perpetual walking mode. Will be a fun thing to code in I can say.

I need to figure out a path finding algorithm that won't pause my runtime when the actor is thinking. Also maybe give it some smart AI by having them seek out a hiding place when they're hurt. Even if I have to mark all the hiding places on the map in advance.

Also need to make them into bad guys that shoot and can be shot or NPC's you can interact with. Right now they're just drones following me around like a lost puppy.

Another thing I want to implement is being able to push them out of the way, i.e. when you move up against them they'll back out of the way a little like in Half-Life 2 to prevent you from being stuck in a corner. Maybe they could nudge eachother too. Like ones in the back will push themselves to the front.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

If you understand C++, then OpenSteer is a great place to look at working examples of steering algorithms, written by the father of steering algorithms, Craig Reynolds. Here is his more general explanation.

As for making them stop walking when they are stuck, a dirty way would be to simply make a minimum velocity and if they aren't exceeding that, then they don't use the walking animation. The velocity would need to be pretty low, so you don't have skating Nazis, which is the most terrifying thought I have ever conjured.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

HITLER! On Ice

Sounds like something the Producers would come up with.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

Goosesteps the new step today?
Deutschland is happy and gay?
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Are you going to release this source when you're done? I'd be really interested in using it and possibly making a library out of it if you released it as opensource.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Hell yes I am. Actually, a real official topic will come when I feel the engine is enough together that it has all the basic elements in place.

I have many ideas for a game I'd be making with it too and features I want to implement after the basics are in place.

Right now I'm doing some testing with enemy AI trying to at least emulate DOOM style enemies as best as possible first before I expand on them.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Got some new friends to keep me company.

Need to learn how to draw the other 7 angles into a template that I can then "dress up". One for each gender. These will make great NPC templates.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

Says video is private.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Fixed. I meant to set it to Unlisted. Silly me!