0.8.0 World:setCallbacks help

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ZenX2
Citizen

0.8.0 World:setCallbacks help

Post by ZenX2 »

I'm making a game in Love 0.8.0, but I've hit a bit of a bump.

It seems that the way that callbacks work in 0.8.0 is different than 0.7. I've managed with just the source code for quite a few things, but I'm wondering if I could get an explanation of the differences/how it works in 0.8.0.

Thank you for reading my request for help, please answer if you can and have a nice day. :crazy:
kikito
Inner party member

Re: 0.8.0 World:setCallbacks help

Post by kikito »

0.8.x comes with a complete rework on the physics. I dind't know about the callbacks specifically, but a lot of stuff will change.
When I write def I mean function.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The callbacks are explained here: http://www.box2d.org/manual.html
The only major difference between the LÖVE 0.8.0 API and the official box2d API is that there are no manifolds in the LÖVE one.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

ZenX2 wrote: but I'm wondering if I could get an explanation of the differences/how it works in 0.8.0.
I would request some help or some orientation on this. I'm doing stuff in 0.7.2 and I don't know the general modifications in 0.8 that will make my code break compatibility. There is a list of 0.8 modifications that warns what it's need to make our old code works in 0.8 ?
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

One of the most major difference between the physics in 0.7 and 0.8 is fixtures.

I tried a bit harder to figure out where love was handling the callbacks and pushing them back to the lua state, and with some debugging I found the arguments:

1. Fixture A
2. Fixture B
3. The Contact
4. normalImpulses
5. tangentImpulses

Definitely better that passing the userdata.

Also, there's an incorrect comment on line 68 of src/modules/physics/box2d/World.cpp; it still talks about pushing userdata, instead of fixtures.