Server

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Doctory
Party member

Server

Post by Doctory »

I'm trying to make a multiplayer game using UDP, I found the tutorial on the wiki, but I don't know how to be able to make server hosting, joining, chatting, all over a console.

Any idea?
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Server

Post by Plu »

Maybe the examples in this thread can help you out?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76711

I've not worked with this myself, so not much more I can offer.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

As in the thread Plu linked to, you should use the built-in Enet library that ships with version 0.9.0.
It has a lot of functions specific to gameplay where UDP doesn't. Also, what's more important, Enet has a "reliable" mode if I remember correctly - marking packets as reliable will make sure they arrive - something that you can't do with plain UDP.
In fact, you should first try to only send in reliable mode - otherwise you'll run into unecessary problems. You don't need unreliable mode unless you get the server into difficult situations with lots of players.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

Thanks!
MPQC
Citizen

Post by MPQC »

Germanunkol wrote:As in the thread Plu linked to, you should use the built-in Enet library that ships with version 0.9.0.
It has a lot of functions specific to gameplay where UDP doesn't. Also, what's more important, Enet has a "reliable" mode if I remember correctly - marking packets as reliable will make sure they arrive - something that you can't do with plain UDP.
In fact, you should first try to only send in reliable mode - otherwise you'll run into unecessary problems. You don't need unreliable mode unless you get the server into difficult situations with lots of players.
If you need reliable then using UDP is not what you're looking for (ie use TCP).
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

MPQC wrote:If you need reliable then using UDP is not what you're looking for (ie use TCP).
ENet is designed to be able to do (optional) reliable UDP, and ends up having far less overhead than TCP - which makes it ideal for real-time games: http://enet.bespin.org/Features.html
MPQC
Citizen

Post by MPQC »

slime wrote:
MPQC wrote:If you need reliable then using UDP is not what you're looking for (ie use TCP).
ENet is designed to be able to do (optional) reliable UDP, and ends up having far less overhead than TCP - which makes it ideal for real-time games: http://enet.bespin.org/Features.html
Neat.