Graphic layers?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Graphic layers?

Post by Jasoco »

Haha, I already programmed it to not draw a tile if its X and Y coordinates aren't within the boundaries. But I'll use setScissor too for extra good measure.

I got myself a really nice smooth scrolling map now. It loads the map file, and determines the maps height from the number of lines and its width by how many characters there are on a line divided by how long each tile definition section is.) I also have NPC's that only get drawn if they're in the frame too.

I set the current max map width and heights to be 500 tiles by 500 tiles. With this engine I will be able to replicate mapping systems like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. (As opposed to my old method which had no scrolling so it was more like the original Zelda and Link's Awakening.

When I have something presentable I'll have to put up a video of what I have done.
Garotas*Gostosas
Prole

Post by Garotas*Gostosas »

Jasoco wrote: And I got a kick out of the SHMUP with the cat shooting at hearts with the J-pop song playing in the background and stars flying by.
yeah! that was the best! :rofl:

your RPG looks cool. what you're going to do with it? will it get released somehow?
I LOVE GAME, YEAH!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

For the most part I am just concentrating on creating an engine. I have no idea what the final game will look like. Where and when it will take place, what kind of weapons or monsters there will be. It started as an RPG with random battle based system, but when I moved to a language with more speed it morphed into what I really wanted to do since high school, a Zelda style top down adventure. Complete with on-screen enemies, real-time weapons, NPC's you interact with and scripts that take place to change the world and your surroundings, items you can pick up like money, health, ammo for your weapon be it a gun or a bow and arrow.

In order to start on a story, I need to make sure the engine can do all the stuff I want it to.
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

I present you with my work in progress, which you can mess with, certain stuff is buggy or not fully implemented, and the code itself is rather untidy but you can certainly pull it apart and look at the workings..

http://www.4shared.com/file/114753514/2 ... zelda.html

Controls:

F1 - Display Debug stuff (Block triggers for collisions, player x/y, etc...)
Arrow keys - Move Character
Left Mouse button - Draw tile/block
Right Mouse button - Remove tile/block

:)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

How long did it take to make that?
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Been messing around with it for the past 4 days on and off..

Then i saw this thread and thought it was rather relevant

Forgot to mention that you can open up the Tileset by pressing CTRL and then clicking with Left Mouse then you can build the map using the different objects!
Garotas*Gostosas
Prole

Post by Garotas*Gostosas »

what can I say except for... It doesn't suck at all! :neko:
I LOVE GAME, YEAH!
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

YYYEEEEESSSS!!! I was really thinking of leaving LOVE cause my RPG's 100 x 100 worldmap drawing function was too slow... How stupid am i! Drawing only visible tiles is THE solution! Of course if in the future love will be integrated with layers it will be better. YAAAY!!!
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Jasoco: I start with TNTBasic when the last version was out. =D Needless to say I didn't stay very long on it.

Someone worked on a love cube a while back as a proof of concept.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

TNTBasic fell apart too fast. It wasn't mature enough when the creator gave up on it and the opensource version hasn't made any headway at all that I've seen.

It didn't have any filesystem features and was slower.

I paid $25 for a license only to have it go opensource and free shortly after. I did the same thing with Konfabulator. I will never pay for programs like that again. It always ends with disappointment.