Can't save .love files?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
dhicks96
Prole

Can't save .love files?

Post by dhicks96 »

Hi, so I have been having issues with trying to compress and name my files to a .love file. I have renamed the .zip extension to .love and made sure that main.lua is the top file in the folder. I'm not sure if I had installed the program properly or not, seeing as I am on a school computer and am doing this for a technology internship class. Help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Can't save .love files?

Post by Robin »

Could you please upload the .love you've created?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
dhicks96
Prole

Post by dhicks96 »

Sure thing, here it is.
Attachments
player.love.zip
(957 Bytes) Downloaded 131 times
SuperZazu
Citizen

Post by SuperZazu »

You need to rename your file and get rid of the final '.zip' : it must be filename.love (currently, you have player.love.zip)

Secondly, you might want to modify your conf.lua so that the first line is like :

Code: Select all

function love.conf(t)
and not

funcrtion love.conf(t)
:)
dhicks96
Prole

Post by dhicks96 »

SuperZazu wrote:You need to rename your file and get rid of the final '.zip' : it must be filename.love (currently, you have player.love.zip)

Secondly, you might want to modify your conf.lua so that the first line is like :

function love.conf(t)
and not

funcrtion love.conf(t)
:)
Thank you for catching that config error, my bad! However, when I type in "filename.love", it still remains as a .zip file type. I am not sure if it has to do with our school system or not, but I just tried to re-name it and it is still is not working. Thank you for responding though, it means a lot!
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

On windows under certain settings, the filesystem will automatically keep the file's extension intact even if you try to change it.

The easiest way around it (without having to change settings, which you probably can't) is to open a command console (windows-key + R, type "cmd", hit enter) and then navigate to the directory and then do "rename oldfilename.love.zip oldfilename.love".

In the command prompt, it won't try to save your extensions.
lumlune
Prole

Post by lumlune »

It's because a ".zip" is still there in the filename, it's just omitted by Windows. If they give you any user permissions, try `Tools > Folder options > View > untick "Hide extensions for known filetypes"`.

Otherwise... I don't know. :crazy:

edit
Plu wrote:The easiest way around it (without having to change settings, which you probably can't) is to open a command console (windows-key + R, type "cmd", hit enter) and then navigate to the directory and then do "rename oldfilename.love.zip oldfilename.love".
Super nifty trick: you can hold shift and right click the directory you're in and a command prompt will open right there.
dhicks96
Prole

Post by dhicks96 »

Plu wrote:On windows under certain settings, the filesystem will automatically keep the file's extension intact even if you try to change it.

The easiest way around it (without having to change settings, which you probably can't) is to open a command console (windows-key + R, type "cmd", hit enter) and then navigate to the directory and then do "rename oldfilename.love.zip oldfilename.love".

In the command prompt, it won't try to save your extensions.
Thanks for the tip! I can't get into the command console do to school restrictions, but I will talk to my teacher and let him know that this needs to be changed. Thanks so much for helping me out! ^^