LÖVE sometimes causes kernel panic on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

LÖVE sometimes causes kernel panic on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I've had this happen only twice, so it seems to be very rare, but I've had LÖVE cause a kernel panic on switching fullscreen. Both times I didn't use the love.window functions to go fullscreen, but the 'lower left-upper right arrow'-button Mac applications show in the top right corner of the window. This because I haven't implemented proper screen resolution switching in my game yet. So I don't know if there's always a chance of it happening, or if it's only because I used the wrong button, but I thought I'd report it anyway.

I have attached the crash log, maybe it's useful to somebody.

Does this mean anything to you guys?

Code: Select all

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff8003c4450e): "a freed zone element has been modified in zone: kalloc.4096"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2050.48.12/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:219
Attachments
lovecrash.txt
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: LÖVE sometimes causes kernel panic on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Post by slime »

The version of SDL that was included in LÖVE 0.9.1's Mac build when it was released had a few fullscreen-related bugs. Since then I've reuploaded the Mac version of 0.9.1 with an updated version of SDL which fixed all of the fullscreen bugs I know of. You could try redownloading LÖVE and see if it still causes kernel panics.

That being said, from the kernel panic report it looks to me like it's triggered from inside the system's graphics driver code. Mac OS 10.8 is fairly outdated these days (as of December 2014 less than 5% of people who run Steam for Mac use it, for example) – updating to OS 10.9 or 10.10 might also fix the kernel panic.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yes, I would too recommend updating to 10.10. According to your crash report you're on a late 2013 model 21.5" iMac (iMac14,1) which is perfectly capable of running it. Is there software you're afraid might not work? We can tell you if it has problems. (There's a website that will tell you)
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I am using LÖVE 0.9.1 already.

I didn't upgrade to OS X 10.9 because that was before LÖVE could run on it. And after that, I just never bothered. The only thing I'm worried about is it messing up software, but if you say it's safe to upgrade, then I'll try that.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

DaedalusYoung wrote:I am using LÖVE 0.9.1 already.
To clarify, I uploaded a new version of 0.9.1 for OS X that included an updated version of SDL in August (and again a couple weeks ago, too.) They're all LÖVE 0.9.1, but if you downloaded 0.9.1 before mid-August then it's using a version of SDL that has some buggy OS X fullscreen code.
DaedalusYoung wrote:I didn't upgrade to OS X 10.9 because that was before LÖVE could run on it. And after that, I just never bothered. The only thing I'm worried about is it messing up software, but if you say it's safe to upgrade, then I'll try that.
Since new versions of OS X often contain new bug fixes for graphics drivers, it's usually a good idea to keep up-to-date.