I am a Lua and Löve beginner and I have somethings I need

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
powerII
Prole

I am a Lua and Löve beginner and I have somethings I need

Post by powerII »

Hey fellow Lövers! I am 15 and have began coding not too long ago. I am a complete noob at Löve. I have enough knowledge of programming and Löve to create a game (very bad quality ones), however I have something I need to be cleared up. I plan on working on a big project that has Shading (pixel effects). I have no idea how to use it. The only thing I actually know is that it uses GLSL. I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me the commands i would need to know(the parameters too) and how to implement it into a game completely.

I would appreciate examples and explanations. I want it to serve as a reference sheet as well. If you have some answers for me but don't want to make it good enough to be a reference sheet or complete, it's okay a simple post would be enough to please me. :nyu:

I attached an example of how nooby I am ( this took me an entire 24 hours)
Attachments
game.love
This is a small platformer with no objective that took me 24 hours
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
:megagrin: :awesome: :crazy: Beginner :megagrin: :3 :awesome:
powerII
Prole

Re: I am a Lua and Löve beginner and I have somethings I nee

Post by powerII »

Ugh, I forgot to mention that I have already seen the beginnera guide to shading and I still don't understand.
giantofbabil
Prole

Post by giantofbabil »

I'm not sure why you want shaders if you are just trying to move on from very basic games like the one you included in your post. You should probably be focusing on learning things like animation, movement techniques(wall grabs, sliding, double jumping, crawling, etc), attacks/weapons, UI/UX, items, text interfaces, cameras, mapping, enemies, I mean I could go on there's a myriad of things that you could probably benefit from learning before shaders.

If you insist on learning them I would dive into the wiki portion on shaders: https://love2d.org/wiki/Shader, it's not ideal I know but that's how I learned most of what I know about love.physics(which still isn't even close to everything). Just dig in, experiment, and be persistent.

Hopefully someone can help you but you might as well try to figure it out on your own in the meantime, good luck!

Code: Select all

if enemy == lowerClassSaiyan and powerLevel > 9000 then
    love.graphics.print("What?! 9000?! There's no way that could be right!", 10, 200)
else
    love.graphics.print("You fool!", 10, 200)
end
powerII
Prole

Post by powerII »

Well the attached game wasn't the very best I could do, but i'll take your advice on starting a little smaller. Thanks!
Random question: is it possible to make a body(love.physics.newBody) move with normal character controls (not apply force)? How?