[SOLVED] Tiled Map breaking at "seams"

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
TheRedRaccoon
Prole

[SOLVED] Tiled Map breaking at "seams"

Post by TheRedRaccoon »

My computer with my RPG.love files bit the dust with a faulty hard-drive, and since the code looked bad anyways, I'm attempting a somewhat cleaner approach to my RPG project. However, I've hit a bit of a random bug...

When the character moves, occasionally the tiles on the map will break apart when the camera is in motion.
I've tried things from seeing if its my new computer's way of handling STI and Tiled, but when I run my old RPG project, it doesn't not break the tiles up at the seams.
I tried removing Maid64 (something I thought would be fun and easy to mess around with), but that did nothing to fix the issue either.
I attempted using the double-sized graphics from the old one, but that changed nothing, either. (Maid64 is what is doing the doubling in the .love provided; in the old one, the .png files held 32x32 tiles, this one has 16x16).
To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening. :o:

Video of the "seams": https://youtu.be/-JiK73i_r3s
Attachments
love64.love
(805.19 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by TheRedRaccoon on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Tiled Map breaking at "seams"

Post by pgimeno »

It seems to be a problem with using nearest neighbour and non-integer coordinates. I've fixed it this way:

In main.lua, function love.draw, I've changed some lines in the "map handling" section like this:

Code: Select all

color("white")
  lg.push()
  local txr = math.floor(tx+0.5) -- added
  local tyr = math.floor(ty+0.5) -- added
  lg.translate(txr + (mw/2 - 8), tyr + (mh/2 - 8)) -- changed tx, ty to txr, tyr
  if map ~= nil then
    map:setDrawRange(-txr, -tyr, mw, mh) -- changed tx, ty to txr, tyr
And in player.lua, function player.f.draw, changed the drawing statement to this:

player.char.anim[player.char.facing]:draw(player.char.sprite, math.floor(player.char.x+0.5), math.floor(player.char.y+0.5) - 2)
I'd like to further investigate when and why this happens.
TheRedRaccoon
Prole

Re: Tiled Map breaking at "seams"

Post by TheRedRaccoon »

Yep, I just figured that out looking at my old code again.

In my old one, the character moves with math.ceil and math.floor accounting for those non-integer coordinates.
I couldn't quite get my new one to do so, so instead, I simply did this to the tx, ty variables in my map.lua file:

function charlayer:update(dt)
    if player.char ~= nil then
      player.f.update(dt)
      tx = -(player.char.x - (player.char.x % .04))
      ty = -(player.char.y - (player.char.y % .04))
    end
  end
I messed around with various numbers, and % .04 has produced (as far as I've been able to see) perfect results.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: [SOLVED] Tiled Map breaking at "seams"

Post by pgimeno »

I've researched this a bit more. It looks to me like a love2d off-by-one bug, possibly due to a discrepancy in rounding modes between GL and C, or both within GL.

lg = love.graphics

local img
local quad

function love.load(argv)
  lg.setDefaultFilter("nearest","nearest")

img = lg.newImage('bug.png')
  quad = lg.newQuad(51, 17, 16, 16, 968, 526)
end

function love.draw()
  lg.draw(img, quad, 392.495, 280)
  lg.draw(img, quad, 392.50, 300)
  lg.draw(img, quad, 392.505, 320)
end
bug.png is a 968x525 image with a 16x16 sprite whose top corner is at (51,17). Zoomed view of the area of the png where the sprite is:
love2d-off-by-1-demo-sprite.png
love2d-off-by-1-demo-sprite.png (683 Bytes) Viewed 2968 times
The dashed line is the 16x16 area of the actual sprite. I've added different edges to the left and right in order to know for sure what was happening.

Zoomed view of the result:
love2d-off-by-1-result.png
love2d-off-by-1-result.png (925 Bytes) Viewed 2968 times
The top and bottom sprites are correct. The one at the centre is wrong, and is the one that caused the problems in the OP. It looks like a discrepancy between the drawing position and u-coordinate, like x is rounded down and u rounded up when at 0.5. That, or an issue of numerical precision.

.love file:
Attachments
bug.love
(829 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times