Love only working on Ubuntu

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
BFG9000
Prole

Love only working on Ubuntu

Post by BFG9000 »

So I'm running a triple-boot setup on an old mac mini from 2006, fully upgraded

I didn't want to hack my way to 10.7 so I stayed on Snow Leopard, and installed WIndows 10 and Ubuntu 14 alongside it.
Love2D is obviously not compatible with 10.6, so I thought I'd give it a shot on Windows, and for some reason that didn't work. I got it working on Ubuntu and have been using that for a while but right now I would like to see if I can get the windows distribution of love to work because Windows has OneDrive support.

Upon launching the windows variant (I also tried launching with a windows 7 compatibility layer) my mouse cursor gets a spinny wheel as if it's loading the program, but it never actually starts and upon checking task manager I can't even find the love process. No errors are output and I actually have no clue where to go from here. I've tried both the installer version and the zip version, and I've also tried launching an application directly by dropping my folder on the love icon. None of this has made a difference.

Is there anything left to try? Or am I just going to have to use the Ubuntu version of Love on this computer?
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Love only working on Ubuntu

Post by slime »

Do you use an antivirus program? One or two of them are known to flag LÖVE as a false positive, I believe.
BFG9000
Prole

Post by BFG9000 »

Well does Windows Defender do that?
I didn't get any messages saying that a malicious program was blocked so I assumed it couldn't be that.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Hm. How about updating graphics driver and installing directx?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
BFG9000
Prole

Post by BFG9000 »

Well I thought that it might have been the graphics at first, because it's a GMA 950, but since it works on Ubuntu it can't be just that. I'm already on the latest graphics drivers for both systems.
As for DirectX, which version does LOVE use? If it's something over DX9 then that might be the issue because I'm pretty sure GMA 950 doesn't have support for anything over 9
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Löve uses OpenGL, not DX.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

It's the Windows drivers. I have a netbook with that same GPU, the Windows drivers just don't support the "correct" OpenGL version. If I recall correctly Slime wrote that it is theoretically possible to run LÖVE on any DX9 GPU by using GLES or something, but you'll want to wait for him for details. It's also probably not exactly painless.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Specifically, on both windows and linux, with that gpu, both will fall back to software rendering. Now, the windows software renderer is.. well, shit, and the linux one, mesa, is actually quite good, as far as software renderers go. In particular, the windows one does not support opengl 2.1, which love requires. Thankfully, there may be a workaround: ANGLE implements OpenGL ES 2 (which love supports) on DX9.