Help with procedurally generated worlds

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
drikdrok
Prole

Help with procedurally generated worlds

Post by drikdrok »

I am working on a game where I need to generate a rather big/infinite world with vast oceans, and big islands.
After many hours of research I found that the way to do it, is through something called perlin noise.
I have managed to create somewhat of an ocean, but I am not satisfied with the result, and I would really appreciate some help from someone with experience with world generation and perlin noise.
Ocean.png
Ocean.png (87.44 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
zorg
Party member

Re: Help with procedurally generated worlds

Post by zorg »

Ding! :3
To be more verbose, redblobgames.com has tutorials for quite a lot of game related stuff. What i linked discusses noise types and map generation.

Edit: This is the mapgen one, the other is just an introduction to noise types.
Last edited by zorg on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

Try adding more "octaves" of noise. Instead of just one noise generator, combine the output of 3 or 4 at different scales.

Here's a terrain generator I started working on once and never finished, maybe it will give you some ideas.
tt.png
tt.png (57.85 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
Attachments
terrainthing.love
(503.18 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
drikdrok
Prole

Post by drikdrok »

airstruck wrote:Try adding more "octaves" of noise. Instead of just one noise generator, combine the output of 3 or 4 at different scales.

Here's a terrain generator I started working on once and never finished, maybe it will give you some ideas.
tt.png
Thanks! I will take a look :awesome: